Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Smitten's Mushroom Bourguignon (with my comments)
Joined: Jun 16, 2006
Posted to Thread #29702 at 3:28 pm on Jun 20, 2017
with links to Marilyn's suggestions and Deb's original recipe.
Yes, it's been almost a year since Marilyn posted this. It's a keeper!
We finally had all ingredients at the same time!
I adapted Deb's recipe for the two of us - no olive oil, used 1 TBS butter with spray canola, pinot noir, cremini mushrooms, 1/2 medium onion finely diced and 1/2 diced chunky as sub for pearl onions, no flour. Just before serving, I stirred cooked noodles into sauce along with several TBS sliced scallions. Dinner included grilled, low sodium soy-marinated boneless pork chops, steamed zucchini, sliced mango and Rhubarb/Apple/Cherry Crisp. Colleen
Smitten Kitchen's Mushroom Bourguignon - Serves 4
The best part about this � well, besides all of it, if I can so humbly say � is that it�s a bourguignon without the heft of beef, but all of the indulgence. Plus, since you don�t need to braise it in the oven for three hours, it can be a weekday night dinner. And you can serve it to vegetarians. And nobody will miss a thing.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 pounds portobello mushrooms, in 1/4-inch slices (save the stems for another use) (you can use cremini instead, as well)
1/2 carrot, finely diced
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup full-bodied red wine
2 cups beef or vegetable broth (beef broth is traditional but vegetable to make it vegetarian; it works with either)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (1/2 teaspoon dried)
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup pearl onions, peeled (thawed if frozen)
Egg noodles, for serving
Sour cream and chopped chives or parsley, for garnish (optional)
Heat the one tablespoon of the olive oil and one tablespoon of butter in a medium Dutch oven or heavy sauce pan over high heat. Sear the mushrooms until they begin to darken, but not yet release any liquid � about three or four minutes. Remove them from pan.
Lower the flame to medium and add the second tablespoon of olive oil. Toss the carrots, onions, thyme, a few good pinches of salt and a several grinds of black pepper into the pan and cook for 10, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for just one more minute.
Add the wine to the pot, scraping any stuck bits off the bottom, then turn the heat all the way up and reduce it by half. Stir in the tomato paste and the broth. Add back the mushrooms with any juices that have collected and once the liquid has boiled, reduce the temperature so it simmers for 20 minutes, or until mushrooms are very tender. Add the pearl onions and simmer for five minutes more.
Combine remaining butter and the flour with a fork until combined; stir it into the stew. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 more minutes. If the sauce is too thin, boil it down to reduce to the right consistency. Season to taste.
To serve, spoon the stew over a bowl of egg noodles, dollop with sour cream (optional) and sprinkle with chives or parsley.
Link: Smitten's Mush Bourguignon
Other messages in this thread:
- 29702. ISO ideas for using 1 1/2 lbs sliced shrooms, that I did not use this weekend. Too hot for soup! TIA [NT] - barb_b - 2:21pm on 06/20/17 (17)
- Sautee lightly - freeze [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 3:17pm on 06/20/17
- Smitten's Mushroom Bourguignon (with my comments) [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 3:28pm on 06/20/17
- I have some beautiful white mushrooms I forgot to saute for Fathers Day - KarenNoCA - 3:40pm on 06/20/17
- You reminded me of a favorite - asparagus, red pepper, mushrooms, - colleenmomof2 - 8:15pm on 06/20/17
- These Mushroom Cheese Rolls are yummy but kinda rich. I made - orchid - 3:58pm on 06/20/17
- Does anyone have a recipe for a vegetarian mushroom burger than is primarily mushrooms? [NT] - deb-in-MI - 5:30pm on 06/20/17
- oops! Sorry Barb - I meant for this to be a new post...not to take away from your request [NT] - deb-in-MI - 5:31pm on 06/20/17
- Great request! I'm interested in this, too. Hope someone can help! [NT] - colleenmomof2 - 8:16pm on 06/20/17
- Stuffed? Sliced and used for a fresh mushroom salad [NT] - Charley - 7:40pm on 06/20/17
- REC: Penne with Mushroom Pesto - judy-mass - 8:38pm on 06/20/17
- Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding [NT] [LINK] - deb-in-MI - 9:54pm on 06/20/17
- Recipe - Baked Parmesan Mushrooms - blog dam delicious.net [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 11:10pm on 06/20/17
- Sautee, butter, eat. - Richard in Cincy - 4:11am on 06/21/17
- Or eat as is! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 9:44pm on 06/21/17
- Mushroom Fried Rice - Sylvia - 12:09pm on 06/23/17
- Mushroom Pate - Sylvia - 12:13pm on 06/23/17
- Thanks everyone! Made mushroom pate... Appreciate the ideas. (Thx sylvia, I didn't use your rec, - barb_b - 11:12pm on 06/26/17