Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC:Tomato Cheddar Tart
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #24770 at 9:30 pm on Jul 29, 2013
Tomato Cheddar Tart
Serves 6-8 (don't believe it!)
2 cups flour, more for dusting
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
10 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper, plus more to taste
1/3 cup ice cold water
3 med. vine ripe tomatoes, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/3 cup grated pecorino cheese
1/4 cup mayo
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp finely chopped basil (I left it out - had none)
1. Make the crust: Pulse flour,1/2 cup cheddar, butter, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in a food processor into pea size crumbs. Add water; pulse until dough comes together. Form dough into a flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hr.
2. Spread tomatoes in a single layer on a double thickness of paper towels; sprinkle with salt and let drain for 1 hour. Blot with more paper towels.
3. Heat oven to 425. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into 14 inch circle about 1/6 inch thick. Transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Mix 3/4 cup cheddar, 1/4 cup pecorino (or asiago), mayonnaise, salt and pepper in bowl. Spread mayo mixture evenly over crust leaving 1 1/2 inch border. Top with tomato slices, overlapping slightly. Season with black pepper and sprinkle with scallions and basil. Fold overhanging crust up and over edge of filling.
Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over top of filling and crust. Bake until golden brown, 40-45 minutes.
Other messages in this thread:
- 24770. Made the Tomato Cheddar Tart from this month's Saveur. Don't usually like tomato tarts but I had a - CynUpstateNY - 7:25pm on 07/29/13 (10)
- Yes, please do! [NT] - ErininNY - 8:15pm on 07/29/13
- great time of year for this. I look forward to the recipe. [NT] - pmassell_93 - 8:46pm on 07/29/13
- REC:Tomato Cheddar Tart - CynUpstateNY - 9:30pm on 07/29/13
- Thanks Cyn....this is similar to Laurie Colwin's tomato pie...see inside for some hints - MarilynFL - 12:24am on 07/30/13
- Here's an image to help visualize the Wonderfulness of Fresh Tomatoes Married to Cheese [LINK] - MarilynFL - 12:26am on 07/30/13
- We reheated the leftovers at 300 and the crust was just as crispy as - CynUpstateNY - 1:00am on 07/30/13
- Enjoy while you have good tart tomatoes. They are the key. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:09am on 07/30/13
- Thanks, Cyn! [NT] - ErininNY - 2:22pm on 07/30/13
- My pleasure. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 2:36pm on 07/30/13
- Here's a version using biscuit dough for the crust. (Not T & T) [NT] [LINK] - Sylvia - 5:08pm on 07/30/13