Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Richard. Made the pfeffernusse, finally. I like them more today than yesterday, and less than...
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #12960 at 7:28 pm on Dec 9, 2008
well you know the rest.
They really do get better with age don't they? I think that recipe makes a quarter million, so they'll be jumpin with flavour by the time we get near the bottom.
I also enjoyed the scent of all those spices in the grinder.
2 pounds lard or butter
2 pounds brown sugar
4 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
2 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons cassia buds
2 tablespoons ground cardamom
2 tablespoons ground anise seed
2 tablespoons orange peel
2 cups chopped almonds
2 t. baking soda stirred into 1 T. warm water
3 cups strong, black coffee, cold
1 tablespoon salt
5 pounds flour
for dusting, powdered sugar
Cream lard and sugars. Mix in spices and nuts. Combine flour with salt and add, alternating with coffee and soda water.
Dough will be stiff, almost clay like. Roll into small balls the size of nuts. Bake at 375F degrees for 10-15 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar when cool. The flavour gets better with age. Age for several weeks packed in tins.
Other messages in this thread:
- 12960. Richard. Made the pfeffernusse, finally. I like them more today than yesterday, and less than... - Marg CDN - 7:28pm on 12/09/08 (13)
- It's just such a grand Christmas scent isn't it? - Richard in Cincy - 8:04pm on 12/09/08
- And another time saving tip/info about cookie dough - Richard in Cincy - 8:11pm on 12/09/08
- Honestly, I did freeze half of it. Had JUST enough room in the freezer. Glad you - Marg CDN - 8:40pm on 12/09/08
- That's exactly how I do it; great method! And freeze or refrigerate all the doughs for another day. [NT] - Mimi - 2:18pm on 12/10/08
- Yup, I get every ingredient out of the pantry... - Richard in Cincy - 5:44pm on 12/10/08
- We do the same, even down to the order of bowl usage. I also get all my measuring spoons out and - Marg CDN - 6:01pm on 12/10/08
- my only difference is I store them in a container on my deck : ) nicely frozen [NT] - AngAk - 6:32pm on 12/10/08
- Don't you just love this season for that ...and only that.? When the recipe says that we - Marg CDN - 6:51pm on 12/10/08
- Best way to cool off your cookie sheets between batches, too! [NT] - Mimi - 4:24pm on 12/11/08
- I turn on the air conditioner! (HA!....just kidding) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 4:51pm on 12/11/08
- I use the garage... [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 7:36pm on 12/10/08
- I used to have this lovely 30' ft. screened porch off the kitchen... - Richard in Cincy - 8:16pm on 12/10/08
- I make an assembly line. Goes so fast! [NT] - Mimi - 4:25pm on 12/11/08