Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Chapchae (Noodles with Beef & Mixed Vegetables)...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #13039 at 6:23 pm on Dec 13, 2008
Chapchae (Noodles with Beef and Mixed Vegetables)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
8 ounces beef eye of round -- trimmed and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger -- peeled
2 teaspoons sambal oelek -- or Thai chile paste
1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
3 cloves garlic -- minced
1 3.75-ounce package cellophane noodles -- (uncooked bean threads)
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
5 cloves garlic -- minced
3 cups shiitake mushroom caps -- (about 6 mushrooms) sliced
1 cup sliced green onions -- diagonally in 2-inches
1 cup carrot -- julienned in 2-inch pieces
1 10-ounce bag fresh spinach
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds -- toasted
To prepare beef, sprinkle cornstarch over beef; toss to combine. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and next 4 ingredients (1 tablespoon soy sauce through 3 garlic cloves); toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add beef mixture; stir-fry 3 minutes or until done. Remove mixture from pan. Cover and keep warm.
To prepare noodle, pour boiling water over noodles; let stand 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain. Snip noodles several times with kitchen shears.
To prepare vegetables, wipe skillet ot wok clean with paper towels. Heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil and vegetable oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add red pepper and 5 garlic cloves; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, onions, and carrot; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add half of spinach; stir-fry 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add remaining spinach, stir-fry 2 minutes or until spinach wilts.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add beef mixture and noodles to pan, stirring well to combine. Combine 1/3 cup soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over noodle mixture; stir well to combine. Cook over medium-low heat 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Other messages in this thread:
- 13039. Whole Eye of Round defrosting, any fun ideas for this chunk of beef? [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 4:50pm on 12/13/08 (7)
- REC: Chapchae (Noodles with Beef & Mixed Vegetables)... - charlie - 6:23pm on 12/13/08
- Ohmygosh!!! Sold!!! Can't wait to try this! Thanks! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 6:41pm on 12/13/08
- Whoa! Me too. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 7:54pm on 12/13/08
- made the chapchae tonight, it was awesome. - starburst - 2:14am on 12/15/08
- ditto. Awesome! - Richard in Cincy - 6:28pm on 12/15/08
- looks like it's a candidate for T&T! [NT] - AngAk - 10:01pm on 12/15/08
- This method if from CI. I haven't made it, but it looks good in the video. [NT] [LINK] - Dawn_MO - 1:33pm on 12/14/08