Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Michael in Phoenix

RvB posted this on Epi years ago. It's a classic "rvb". REC: Vanilla Mousse

Veteran Member
5749 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #13073 at 8:28 pm on Dec 16, 2008

Vanilla Mousse
adapted from my ancient Gourmet Cookbook

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 pint whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
a 1-inch piece of vanilla bean
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 egg whites

PREPARATION:

Partially whip the cream, add the sugar and beat until the cream holds it's shape [which is more than i'll do if i keep eating this stuff]. Scrape the pulp from the vanilla bean [cut in half lengthwise first] and mix with 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract. Stir the vanilla into the whipped cream. Beat until stiff. Set bowl in freezer until egg whites are beaten. Fold in egg whites, beaten until stiff with a pinch of salt[sic(i've had MUCH better luck with an egg beater {or even a whisk})]. Turn the mixture into individual cups [they're making this way to easy for me to construe literally (did i ever tell you about the comic strip where this voluptuous lady tells her date {as they enter her apartment}, "excuse me while i change into something more comfortable." and proceeds to transmography into an easy chair.)?] and freeze the mousse without stirring ["not a creature was stirring, not even a mousse"]? VARIATIONS Substitute 1 tsp. vanilla extract for bean and extract. Substitute 1 to 1 1/2 oz. liqueur for the vanilla. Grate chocolate over top. Top with compoted [i KNEW the spell checker would suggest "composted"] fruit. btw, the mousse is much nicer if only frozen partially.

Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker

Other messages in this thread: