Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Music City Missy||
Here is what I did....
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #13110 at 1:18 am on Dec 20, 2008
I heard that a chef ws showing Anthony Boudain how to do it and used bacon fat. Well, I didn't think that was good enough. I didn't want to do a whole bottle so I poured off some in a jar and fried up some bacon cut into quarters. I only needed 2 T for my recipe and made t a couple of times for testing. I put all the bacon fat (probably about 1/4 cup) in the jar along with one whole slice of bacon - 4 pieces. Then I poured in the Jack Daniels - 1/2-3/4 cup. Screwed the lid on and shook it up good. Ever few days I would shake it up - not sure if it made a difference or not but my thoughts were that the fat was separating so I my thought was if I shook it back up and mixed it from time to time, it would give it more chance to impart the flavor from the fat and would more evenly distribute it. I did that for about two weeks. Then when I was ready to use it, I pulled the bacon pieces out and put it in the fridge so the fat would harden on top and I could remove it. Then strain it and you are ready to go.
The flavor was not as strong as I might have thought. I mainly got some of the saltiness and a smokier than normal finish. It came out a little more in the sauce than the whiskey itself.
It just depends on the particular alcohol as to how much of the flavor it takes. I bet that vodka would take on the flavor much more than the bourbon. And of course, JD is already aged in charred barrels which gives it some smokiness to start with.
Other messages in this thread:
- 13110. Missy...I just got off the phone with Jason Wilson. He asked how your project went...Got an update? [NT] - Traca - 11:55pm on 12/17/08 (7)
- I'll try to post pix - need to email the teacher and see but it went well... - Music City Missy - 2:45am on 12/18/08
- Wow! That sounds awesome! **Bacon**bacon**bacon**!! You know, the kitchen is - Traca - 3:31am on 12/18/08
- I looove bacon!!! Missy, can you/would you explain how your infused the Jack Daniels? - Heather_in_SF - 5:42am on 12/18/08
- Here is what I did.... - Music City Missy - 1:18am on 12/20/08
- Interesting...I think shaking it is a good thing. I make my own cordials and they too - Traca - 2:06am on 12/20/08
- Jensen's - is that a mail order source or local? You know I love trying bacons. [NT] - Music City Missy - 2:49am on 12/26/08
- Thanks Missy! This sounds great - I may try both vodka and bourbon.... - Heather_in_SF - 7:09am on 12/20/08