Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #13152 at 4:45 pm on Dec 21, 2008
Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies
Recipe By :Amanda Hesser
Serving Size : 84
1/2 pound unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar -- divided
1 Pinch salt
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup blackberry jam
1/2 cup egg whites
1 teaspoon lemon extract
3/4 cup grated walnuts
1 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, 1/2 cup of the sugar and the salt. Mix in the egg yolk, then the flour until just combined. (The dough will still be crumbly.) Transfer to an 11 1/2-inch-by-16. 1/2-inch baking sheet and, with floured hands, press into a thin, even layer, covering the pan. Spread the jam evenly over the dough.
In a mixer, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gradually add the remaining cup of sugar and the lemon extract and mix until a stiff-peaked meringue forms. Fold in the grated walnuts. Swirl the meringue over the jam-covered dough. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Bake until the meringue is hardened, 35 to 40 minutes.
Cut the cookies in the pan while still warm, 8 rows by 11 rows. Lightly press the broken meringue into the jam layer. Set the sheets on cooling racks.
"The New York Times"
"7 Dozen Cookies"
Other messages in this thread:
- 13152. REC: Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies... - charlie - 4:45pm on 12/21/08 (4)
- Wow, these sound great! Did you make them? Do you have a picture? [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 5:06pm on 12/21/08
- No Luisa I have made them as yet--just saw them on the NY Times web site-there - charlie - 5:37pm on 12/21/08
- The photo doesn't look like I imagined. I thought there would be more meringue [NT] [LINK] - Luisa_Calif - 5:46pm on 12/21/08
- Luisa, I'm not so sure that picture is the right one for that recipe, because - Judy-TX - 6:35pm on 12/29/08