Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
PatBastrop

Here's another one: Chicken Korma

Veteran Member
1689 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #13366 at 1:46 am on Jan 11, 2009

Chicken Korma (can also be made with lamb)

1 whole chicken, cut up into serving pieces (I usually cut the pieces up -- each breast in four pieces, thighs and legs cut in half, etc.)

2 medium onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
2 large cloves garlic
1/4 cup raw cashews or blanched almonds
2 to 6 dried chillies, seeded
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon saffron strands
2 tablespoons boiling water
3 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup yoghurt (greek style)
2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro

Have chicken cut up and ready.

Peel onions, slicing one finely. Chop the other onion roughly and put into food processor with garlic, ginger, cashews and chillies. Add a half cup of water, cover and process until smooth.

If using the saffron, soak in boiling water. If you don't have saffron, substitute a teaspoon of tumeric, adding it to the other dried spices.

Heat the oil in a large pot. When hot, put in the sliced onions. Fry, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon until soft and golden. Add the mixed spices (I usually soften them first into a paste with a little water). Continue stirring until the spices smell (wonderful). Add the ingredients from the food processor and cook, stirring constantly, until it is well cooked, and the oil starts to separate out.

Rinse out the processor bowl with a little (1/4 cup) water and add to the pot. Add the chicken and stir over medium heat until each piece is coated with the mixture. Add the yoghurt and stir again until evenly mixed. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook gently until chicken is done. Stir occasionally so chicken doesn't stick.

Sprinkle with cilantro, mix it in and heat gently another five minutes. Serve hot with rice.

NOTE: If there isn't enough gravy, add a little chicken stock. I have also made this with coconut milk when I didn't have the yoghurt.

Other messages in this thread: