Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Lentil Sausage Escarole Soup...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #13387 at 11:04 pm on Jan 11, 2009
Lentil Sausage Escarole Soup
1 2/3 cups lentils -- (11 ounces) rinsed well (I used 1C)
5 cups water -- (I used 2 C)
3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth -- (I used 2 C)
1 bay leaf -- Turkish, or 1/2 California bay leaf
4 garlic cloves -- finely chopped, divided
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound Italian sausage links -- sweet, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used 2 large Spicy Itallian Sausage I took the sausage out of the casing and made med/small crumble)
1 medium onion -- finely chopped
2 medium carrots -- finely chopped
2 celery ribs -- finely chopped (I used half a lg fennel didn't use celery)
2 tablespoons tomato paste -- ( I used 1 T)
1/2 pound escarole -- chopped (4 cups packed)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar -- (1 to 2)
Simmer lentils, water, broth, bay leaf, and half of garlic in a 4-quart pot, uncovered, 12 minutes. (this can be an unnecessary step) Just add all of this after sauteing veggies
Meanwhile, heat oil in a wide heavy 5- to 6-quart pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown sausage, about 7 minutes. Transfer sausage with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
Reduce heat to medium and cook onion, carrots, celery, remaining garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add sausage and lentils with cooking liquid and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. ( I cook french lentils total 30 min)
Stir in escarole and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar to taste and season with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf.
NOTES : I add vinegar to the bowl as I serve
I also use parmesean cheese sprinkled on top
Other messages in this thread:
- 13387. REC: Lentil Sausage Escarole Soup... - charlie - 11:04pm on 01/11/09 (11)
- How can I convert this or any of the soup into a crockpot recipe? [NT] - Mercy - 7:03am on 01/12/09
- I originally posted, anyone else try it for T&T, we love, love, love this soup and - suz - 3:17pm on 01/12/09
- Sorry I didn't give you credit suz---it's a great soup [NT] - charlie - 4:03pm on 01/12/09
- so glad you like it! [NT] - suz - 10:52pm on 01/12/09
- Yes, I liked it too. I have some sort of variation of lentil soup/stew every New Years Day - I vote - DawnNYS - 12:49pm on 01/13/09
- Does that make 3? I made it this New Years day, hoping for some good luck! [NT] - suz - 2:57pm on 01/13/09
- 'Think so - you want to do the honors and put it in T&T? [NT] - DawnNYS - 4:14pm on 01/15/09