Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Salted Nut Bars--You taste sweet & salty in each bite!
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Posted to Thread #13418 at 5:01 pm on Jan 14, 2009
Salted Nut Bars (A very old Pillsbury Baking contest recipe)
3 cups Pillsbury's All-Purpose or Unbleached Flour
1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 tsp salt
2 cups mixed nuts or cocktail peanuts (I use salted cocktail peanuts--either regular or lightly salted or a mixture of both.)
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 Tbsp margarine or butter
1 Tbsp water
6-oz package (1 cup) butterscotch chips
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, 1 cup margarine or butter, and salt; blend well. Press in ungreased 15x10-inch jelly roll pan or two 9-inch square pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes.
In small saucepan, combine corn syrup, 2 Tbsp margarine or butter, water, and butterscotch chips; boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Sprinkle nuts over partially baked crust. Pour cooked mixture over nuts. Return to oven and bake an additional 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool; cut into bars. 48 bars.
The following NOTE added on 12/7/09: Before bars are completely cool, remember to run a sharp knife around the edges of the bars or they will "glue" themselves to the sides of your jelly roll pan. Wigs
On 12/6/09 cheez wrote this note:
Next time, though, I would line the pan with parchment... it becomes so glued to the sides of the pan that you really have to use a sharp knife to loosen it. Once the sides are loosened, though, you can remove the entire thing onto a board to cut it up - it's that solid!
NOTE number 2 from Wigs on 12/7/09: Or maybe lining the baking pan with a sheet of aluminum foil that goes up and over the edges of the pan would also work to prevent the bars from sticking to the sides of the pan. You could lift the aluminum w/ the 10x15" bar completely out of the pan and then cut them on a wooden board. Wigs
Other messages in this thread:
- 13418. Didn't have 2 cook 4 my family @ Xmas this yr, but here's the menu I made 4 my side in 2007==> - wigs - 8:51pm on 01/13/09 (22)
- REC: Piggyback Shrimp - wigs - 8:55pm on 01/13/09
- REC: Pork Loin with Herb Rub from a friend, Kathryn Glover [NT] [LINK] - wigs - 8:56pm on 01/13/09
- REC: Confetti Mashed Potatoes - wigs - 9:02pm on 01/13/09
- REC: Four-Cheese Spinach Macaroni--Had to have 2 starches to fill up 17-yr-old nephew who runs XC! - wigs - 9:13pm on 01/13/09
- REC: Broccoli and Walnuts - wigs - 9:14pm on 01/13/09
- NLB's Peppermint Twist Cheesecake with a couple modifications: - wigs - 9:31pm on 01/13/09
- REC: Baby Bleu Salad [NT] [LINK] - wigs - 9:34pm on 01/13/09
- Isn't this salad wonderful? I made it this week, posted about it up at #13411. Loved it. [NT] - Curious1 - 10:14pm on 01/14/09
- I didn't even notice you'd posted it! What a coincidence. I got it from taking a class in 2001-- - wigs - 2:53pm on 01/15/09
- Thanks for the hint about the raspberry vinegar. Would be a little less sweet, also, not a bad thing [NT] - Curious1 - 9:32pm on 01/15/09
- REC: Pumpkin Pie with Candied Ginger - wigs - 9:45pm on 01/13/09
- 9) Christmas Bars [LINK] - wigs - 9:53pm on 01/13/09
- Chocolate Cordial Cups [NT] [LINK] - wigs - 9:55pm on 01/13/09
- Disappearing Marshmallow Brownies - wigs - 10:00pm on 01/13/09
- wigs, post a link to this in T&T menus----lovely spread and recipes. [NT] - AngAk - 11:10pm on 01/13/09
- AngAk--Got everything set up in T&T Menus & am so proud all my indentations are right there! LOL [NT] - wigs - 3:55pm on 01/15/09
- REC: Mexican Wedding Cakes with a bit of a different flavoring than the usual. - wigs - 1:35pm on 01/14/09
- Forgot to mention that I like to use a special powdered sugar for these cookies that can be found at [LINK] - wigs - 2:55pm on 01/15/09
- mmm... I've heard of that before! I'm going to see if my cake supply shop sells it. [NT] - cheezz - 5:07am on 01/16/09
- thanks wigs. this is just what I needed for the shortbread linzer hearts I make. the regular - AngAk - 6:33pm on 01/16/09
- REC: Salted Nut Bars--You taste sweet & salty in each bite! - wigs - 5:01pm on 01/14/09