Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
And the ground beef in... Rec: Chiles Rellenos Casserole
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #13665 at 12:56 pm on Feb 3, 2009
Chiles Rellenos Casserole
1/2 pound ground turkey (or extra lean ground beef)
1 cup onion, chopped
1 3/4 tsp cumin
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
16 ounces fat-free refried beans
2 4 oz. cans whole or chopped green chiles
1 cup (4 oz) pre-shredded Colby-Jack cheese, divided
1 cup corn
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/3 cups skim milk
1/8 tsp hot sauce, like Tabasco
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
red onion slices, optional
chopped cilantro, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. cook turkey and onion in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat. Add cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and beans. stir well; set aside.
Arrange half of green chiles* in an 11 x 7 inch baking dish; top with half of cheese. Spoon mounds of beef mixture onto cheese; spread gently, leaving a 1/4 inch border around edge of dish. Top with corn. Arrange remaining green chiles* over corn; top with remaining cheese.
Combine flour with salt in a bowl; gradually add remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk until blended. Pour over casserole. Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until set; let stand 5 minutes. Garnish with onion slices and cilantro, if desired.
Patís notes: We really like this a lot. I serve it with Spanish rice and a green salad dressed with Ranch dressing. Yummy. I put the 4 oz. can of whole green chilis on the bottom layer, and spread the 4 oz. can of diced green chilis on the top layer.
Source: Jan/Feb 2001 Cooking Light magazine, also Annie @ KC.
Yield 6 servings. Per serving when made with ground turkey: 335 calories, 9 g fat, 26.9 g protein, 37 g carbs, 5.5 g fiber.
Converted to Weight Watcher points, Serves 6 - 7.3 WW points if using lean ground beef. http://members.aol.com/nickaduck/chili1.htm
Other messages in this thread:
- 13665. Have 1/2 lb of ground beef and 1/2 lb sausage leftover from Superbowl Chili...What to do? [NT] - barb_b - 12:27pm on 02/03/09 (15)
- How about hamburgers? [NT] - Meryl - 12:43pm on 02/03/09
- Here's a recipe to check out: Owens Sausage and Ground Beef Backyard Burgers [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:48pm on 02/03/09
- More recipes to look at: [NT] - Meryl - 12:49pm on 02/03/09
- Char's Cajun Beef & Sausage Stuffed Bell Peppers [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:49pm on 02/03/09
- Spaghetti Bolognese Sauce (Beef and Italian Sausage) [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:49pm on 02/03/09
- meatloaf? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 12:49pm on 02/03/09
- pasta, lasagna, soup, or make more chili and freeze it [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 12:49pm on 02/03/09
- You beat me to it - was gonna list that also! Will post a link: Sammy's Beef and Sausage Meatloaf [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:50pm on 02/03/09
- Rec: Roasted Tomato Soup with Ground Beef, Sausage, Garbanzos, Macaroni, and Basil [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 12:51pm on 02/03/09
- Use the sausage in this... Rec: Italian Sausage and Mushroom Risotto - Pat-NoCal - 12:53pm on 02/03/09
- And the ground beef in... Rec: Chiles Rellenos Casserole - Pat-NoCal - 12:56pm on 02/03/09
- wallah...2 meals...nice budget stretcher. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:00pm on 02/03/09
- Rec: Spaghetti Squash Boats...you can - Pat-NoCal - 1:01pm on 02/03/09
- Thanks so much! I ended up making Meryl's rec: Owens Sausage and Ground beef burgers - barb_b - 5:26pm on 02/03/09
- Glad they turned out well! [NT] - Meryl - 6:00pm on 02/03/09