Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Another from Tish Boyle REC: Orange Almond Madeleines...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #13663 at 7:32 pm on Feb 3, 2009
ORANGE ALMOND MADELEINES
Recipe By :The Good Cookie
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup granulated sugar -- divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 large egg whites -- at room temperature
3/4 cup unsalted butter -- (11/2 sticks) cut into tablespoons
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia -- or orange extract
For the Sugar Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted
3 tablespoons whole milk
1/4 teaspoon Vanilla extract
Two regular madeleine pans (don't use nonstick pans)
Make the batter
1. Place the almonds and 1 tablespoon of the sugar in the bowl of a food processor and blend until finely ground, about 1 minute. Transfer the almonds to a medium bowl. Add the remaining sugar, the flour, and salt and stir until well blended. Slowly whisk in the egg whites until blended.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Continue to cook until the solids at the bottom of the pan turn light brown and the butter is fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk butter into the almond mixture until combined. Whisk in the vanilla extract and Fiori di Sicilia. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the batter for at least 2 hours, until cold (or up to 24 hours).
Bake the madeleines
3. Place two racks near the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray two madeleine pans thoroughly with nonstick cooking spray. Place the pans in the freezer for 10 minutes to set the spray.
4. Place a dollop of batter in each mold, filling them two-thirds full. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the madeleines are golden brown and the centers spring back when lightly touched. Immediately remove the madeleines from the molds and place them on a wire rack to cool while you make the glaze.
Glaze the madeleines
5. Put the confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in the butter, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth.
6. Place the rack with the madeleines on it over a baking sheet. Dip a madeleine scalloped side down in the glaze, letting the excess drip off, then place the madeleine on the cooling rack (glazed side up). Glaze the remaining madeleines. Serve the madeleines immediately, or store in an airtight container until ready to serve. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a day.
Other messages in this thread:
- 13663. Anyone have a good recipe for madeleines? [NT] - Meryl - 5:33pm on 02/03/09 (18)
- Rec: Chocolate Chip Shells - Pat-NoCal - 6:16pm on 02/03/09
- Rec: Corn Madeleines - Pat-NoCal - 6:17pm on 02/03/09
- These go great with soup, or chili. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 6:59pm on 02/03/09
- Thanks, Pat. Do you also have a more traditional recipe, ie, plain ones with just flour, butter, - Meryl - 6:22pm on 02/03/09
- Rec: Lemon Madeleines One of my all-time faves... - Pat-NoCal - 6:23pm on 02/03/09
- Thanks! This sounds great! [NT] - Meryl - 6:32pm on 02/03/09
- It's very good. I once was asked to make them regularly for a particular restaurant I - Pat-NoCal - 6:37pm on 02/03/09
- Another all-time favorite. Rec: Pumpkin Madeleines - Pat-NoCal - 6:38pm on 02/03/09
- Rec: Madeleines [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 6:44pm on 02/03/09
- Pat, do you remember which one you liked better, the Lemon Madeleines or the ones from Bon Appetit? [NT] - Meryl - 6:56pm on 02/03/09
- they're both good but I like the Lemon Mad with the addition of zest and - Pat-NoCal - 6:58pm on 02/03/09
- Okay thanks! I have a madeleine pan in my shopping cart at Amazon - will order it later today! I - Meryl - 7:05pm on 02/03/09
- Ina Garten made these Coconut Madeleines recently and they looked really good. - AngAk - 7:17pm on 02/03/09
- These sound good! Thanks, Ang! [NT] - Meryl - 7:27pm on 02/03/09
- From Tish Boyle REC: Bittersweet Chocolate Madeleines... - charlie - 7:30pm on 02/03/09
- Julia Child's tip for prepping the pan ... - Shaun in TO - 7:31pm on 02/03/09
- Another from Tish Boyle REC: Orange Almond Madeleines... - charlie - 7:32pm on 02/03/09
- Thanks, everyone. :) [NT] - Meryl - 2:41am on 02/04/09