Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Penne with Roasted Asparagus and Balsamic Butter
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #13975 at 10:59 pm on Feb 28, 2009
PENNE WITH ROASTED ASPARAGUS AND BALSAMIC BUTTER
Simmering the balsamic vinegar both mellows and thickens it. When tossed with the hot pasta and the butter, it forms a smooth, uniquely flavored sauce.
1 pound asparagus
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 pound penne
1/4 pound butter, cut into pieces (1 stick)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Snap the tough ends off the asparagus and discard them. Cut the spears into 1-inch pieces. Put the asparagus on a baking sheet and toss with the oil and 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the vinegar in a small saucepan. Simmer until 3 tablespoons remain. Stir in the brown sugar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat.
Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling, salted water until just done, about 13 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss with the butter, vinegar, asparagus, Parmesan, and the remaining 1 3/4 teaspoons salt. Serve with additional Parmesan.
VARIATION: PENNE WITH ROASTED BROCCOLI AND BALSAMIC BUTTER
When asparagus is not in season, cut 1 pound of broccoli into small spears for roasting. Toss them with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and roast for about 15 minutes. Continue with step 2.
Balsamic vinegar, Parmesan cheese, and especially asparagus will be best served by a wine with plenty of acidity. Look for a Sancerre from the Loire Valley in France (made from sauvignon blanc grapes) or a sauvignon blanc from Italy.
From Food and Wine - Quick from Scratch - Pasta
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 13975. ISO: Your favorite recipe using Balsamic Glaze - I buy Gia Russa brand... - GayleMO - 7:35pm on 02/28/09 (19)
- Rec: Flank Steak with Caramelized Onions and Balsamic Glaze [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 7:49pm on 02/28/09
- Rec: Garlic Herbed Chicken with a Balsamic Glaze - Pat-NoCal - 7:51pm on 02/28/09
- Why not try this: take 2 cups of any cheapo balsamic and reduce by half. Works wonders! [NT] - MarilynFL - 10:04pm on 02/28/09
- That's what I do. [NT] - Meryl - 10:56pm on 02/28/09
- Some ideas: [NT] - Meryl - 10:57pm on 02/28/09
- Frisee Salad with Goat Cheese and Balsamic Syrup [LINK] - Meryl - 10:58pm on 02/28/09
- Penne with Roasted Asparagus and Balsamic Butter [LINK] - Meryl - 10:59pm on 02/28/09
- Succulent Stuffed Roast Duck with Balsamic Cherry Sauce [LINK] - Meryl - 11:03pm on 02/28/09
- Mushroom and Spinach Crepes with Goat Cheese and Balsamic Drizzle [LINK] - Meryl - 11:04pm on 02/28/09
- Smoky Caramelized Balsamic Chicken [LINK] - Meryl - 11:06pm on 02/28/09
- Seared Duck Breast Halves with Balsamic Cherry Reduction [LINK] - Meryl - 11:09pm on 02/28/09
- Pan-Roasted Salmon with Citrus-Balsamic Vinaigrette [LINK] - Meryl - 11:11pm on 02/28/09
- This sounds great - Watermelon Radishes are beautiful! Winter Salad w/ Beets, Watermelon Radishes, [LINK] - Meryl - 12:25am on 03/01/09
- Wow, thanks everyone! [NT] - GayleMO - 2:25am on 03/01/09
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken - lorijean - 3:19pm on 03/01/09
- My favorite steak recipe: Epi's Balsamic Glzed Sirloin Steak [NT] [LINK] - Sandi in Hawaii - 2:14am on 03/02/09
- My favorite salmon recipe: Caramelized Salmon with Balsamic Soy Reduction [NT] [LINK] - Sandi in Hawaii - 2:17am on 03/02/09
- Pat in NoCal's French Chicken in Vinegar Sauce [NT] [LINK] - Sandi in Hawaii - 2:20am on 03/02/09