Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
This is a good recipe for asparagus and especially those pesky butts.
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #13976 at 3:40 pm on Mar 5, 2009
I have posted it before. I used to sell the pickles at my market, and since there was such a large quantity of butts, I started cutting them into bite-size pieces, about an inch or so, and pickling them too. I sold them for less than the spears, and always sold out of them. This brine is delicious with other veggies too.
* Exported from MasterCook *
PENNY'S NORTHWEST ASPARAGUS Small Batch
Recipe By :Penny
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dawn's Recipe Pickles & Relishes
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds fresh asparagus
1 teaspoon dill seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1/8 bunch fresh dill, -- if
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes,
2 chili peppers
4 cloves garlic
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons plain salt or canning
Place asparagus into pint jars. Into each jar place: Divide the herbs and spices equally among the two pint jars (or all into one container). Pour boiling mixture over asparagus. Put covers on jars and place in hot bath. Boil 20 min. for pts. and 25 min. for qts., but plan on being able to make more brine, just in case.
Makes 2 pints.
This may also be made in one or two large glass containers. Follow directions for making pickles. Let sit on counter for 2 days. Place jar in refrigerator. Pickles will keep indefinitely in refrigerator.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sometimes you just need to look reality in the eye, and deny it. �Garrison Keillor
Other messages in this thread:
- 13976. A re-post of Joe's Asparagus Veloute, since it's asparagus season. I've made this... [LINK] - Michael in Phoenix - 8:17pm on 02/28/09 (6)
- This DOES sound good! Thanks for the re-post :) [NT] - cheezz - 3:52am on 03/02/09
- Glad you're enjoying it. You just reminded me that I have asparagus butts in the fridge from - Joe - 2:07am on 03/03/09
- Me, too - - LisainLA - 3:25pm on 03/04/09
- This is a good recipe for asparagus and especially those pesky butts. - Dawn_MO - 3:40pm on 03/05/09
- Thanks for reminding me Dawn. I made this last summer and - KC_ - 9:19pm on 03/05/09
- just in time for asparagus season. thanks! [NT] - AngAk - 11:40pm on 03/05/09