Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Learning: Do not proof while dog sitting.....Yesterday, I was so proud of myself w/ todays economy
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #14093 at 3:16 pm on Mar 10, 2009
of finding something different to use my about to expire cottage cheese. I found Randi's rec: for Herbed cottage cheese bread. Was up for the challenge, and substituted basically any and all italian seasonings that I have in the closet, then added some hot chili flakes. I am not a baker, so just kind of was winging it..(ie first proof, while looked gorgeous was much longer than 45 minutes...I was busy and forgot about it...)
Side bar...I am dog sitting. My mom and dad's baby...10 lb lil bichon/westie mix. She discovered the bread while just about finished with the second proof. I was pre-heating the oven late last night, only to discover that she ate one loaf!!
Vet (Known for many, many years) said go directly to the overnight animerge. They discussed stomach surgery, concerns about her heart and pancreas if it continues to proof....Very scary!
All worked out OK in the end. They pumped her stomach. (Poor thing!) No surgery req'd. I was beside myself thinking how I can explain this to my parents if there was a bad outcome. I was up the entire night, watching her to make sure she was breathing. Very scary.....
She is OK today, a lil tired, and sluggish, but OK. SO....Learnings:
- Randi's bread smelled wonderful, and is really easy
- Daisy (Dog) loved the uncooked bread
- When proofing, make sure that there is NO way that an animal can discover it. (I love Joanie's idea re: car)
-And lastly, most importantly....Here, I was feeling economically savy, by using about to expire cottage cheese, and ended up paying hundreds to have her stomach pumped!!!
No Proofing at doggie level!
Other messages in this thread:
- 14093. Where do you bakers proof your bread? Mine is in the car........ - joanietoo - 2:38pm on 03/10/09 (24)
- Two places... - desertculinary - 2:42pm on 03/10/09
- Joe! I have 6 batches of bread dough in the oven with the light on--why didn't I think of that! - Joe - 2:42pm on 03/11/09
- I loved your entry on the F&W pork tenderloin recipe and your picture was better than the mag's. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 3:08pm on 03/10/09
- This should have been under desertculinary's post. [NT] - Curious1 - 3:08pm on 03/10/09
- I've put a boiling water in the microwave, then the dough. Also, warmed the oven to 200 for 5 min - MarilynFL - 3:10pm on 03/10/09
- Learning: Do not proof while dog sitting.....Yesterday, I was so proud of myself w/ todays economy - barb_b - 3:16pm on 03/10/09
- What a day you and Daisy had. Really glad it turned out okay, but sorry about the cost and worry. [NT] - Curious1 - 3:23pm on 03/10/09
- what a story! glad it all turned out OK. I learned something about dogs and dough. [NT] - AngAk - 3:59pm on 03/10/09
- oh honey...I'm giggling here yet feeling wrong for doing so with your $$. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:03pm on 03/10/09
- OH MY........Barb...sorry but glad it turned out OK> [NT] - joanietoo - 4:09pm on 03/10/09
- That same thing almost happened to me. I left dough proofing on the counter while I went to pick - Dawn_MO - 6:44pm on 03/10/09
- Jasper The Dog -- saw this a few months ago and laughed until I cried so had to save it.... - cheezz - 9:47pm on 03/10/09
- I still prefer it long and slow in the fridge. - desertjean - 3:17pm on 03/10/09
- I am with joanietoo. I have not used a special warm place to proof my bread in ages. . . - mistral - 3:47pm on 03/10/09
- Me too. Bread proofed in an artificially warm place always tastes yeasty to me. [NT] - Shaun in TO - 8:50am on 03/12/09
- These have turned out prolly the best rolls I have made in years!!! - joanietoo - 3:39pm on 03/10/09
- Depends on what I am doing... - Richard in Cincy - 8:31pm on 03/10/09
- Joanie - or Pat! - I keep searching and can't find the 'Fresh Loaf' recipe... could you post link? [NT] - cheezz - 9:50pm on 03/10/09
- cheezz, looks like it's at 14095 below. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 9:08am on 03/11/09
- Thanks Pat :) [NT] - cheezz - 6:34pm on 03/11/09
- I think it's from this blog called the Fresh loaf. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 12:49pm on 03/11/09
- it is.....well done.......my rolls did not quite look like hers..they rose high but stuck to the ... - joanietoo - 3:16pm on 03/11/09
- "moreish"?? is that good? [NT] - cheezz - 6:34pm on 03/11/09
- JOanie, isn't the car a bit too scorching down there? I used to just put it in the oven with - Marg CDN - 9:20am on 03/20/09