Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Barbara in VA

I tried the King Arthur recipe today. REC: Irish American Soda Bread

Veteran Member
2567 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #14149 at 2:37 pm on Mar 15, 2009

Since I have to work Tuesday evening I am making my St. Patrick's Day dinner today. The corned beef is in the oven, the chocolate stout cake just came out of the oven and I baked the soda bread earlier today. I saw the King Arthur version somewhere on the internet and now I can't find it to link it so I gotta type it!

This bread is really delicious. I have been nibbling on it all afternoon and just hope I have enough room left for dinner in a while!

Irish American Soda Bread

6 T unsalted butter
3.4 C sugar
2 large eggs
1 T baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
3.4 t salt
2 C whole wheat flour, traditional or white (I used white whole wheat)
1 1/2 C buttermilk
1 C AP flour
1 C currants or golden raisins (my currants were very dry + sticky so I soaked them in hot water for 20 minutes first)
2 t caraway seeds
1 t milk for glaze
1 T coarse sugar for topping

Preheat the oven to 325F. Lightly grease an 8" round pan with sides at least 3 " tall (I made a parchment collar since my pan was not 3" tall).

Beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Add the eggs and beat on high speed until the mix is thick and light colored, about 2 minutes. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda and salt, then 1C of the whole wheat flour. Gently beat in half of the buttermilk then another cup of the flour. Add the remaining buttermilk and the AP flour, mixing until smooth. Stir in the currants and caraway seeds.

Turn the dough onto the prepared pan. Drizzle the milk over it and sprinkle with the coarse sugar.

Bake the bread until a tester comes out clean, 1 hour 15 minutes (mine took a little longer). Tent with foil for the final 15 minutes if it appears to be browning too quickly. Remove from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool, right side up. Allow the bread to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.

Variation: Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan, fill and glaze as directed above. Bake for 45 min - 1 hour.

Enjoy!

Other messages in this thread: