Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here's my favorite lemon bread from Gourmet
Joined: Dec 21, 2005
Posted to Thread #14173 at 2:19 am on Mar 19, 2009
This recipe is from the early 80's, I've made it without the cranberries and added lemon zest and that was wonderful, so why don't you try this it sometime?
Cranberry Lemon Bread from Gourmet
tried and true favorite for half the world, I'm sure!
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup shortening, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs, beaten lightly
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tb grated lemon rind
1 cup fresh or unthawed frozen cranberries, picked over
Combine well with a fork the flour, salt, baking powder and soda. In another bowl, stir together the shortening and sugar, add the eggs and combine well. Stir in buttermilk, vanilla, rind and combine well. Add the flour mixture, stir until just mixed, then stir in the cranberries gently. Bake in 6 little loaf pans or one large pan at 350 for 40 minutes for the smaller pans or 1 hour for the larger or until a tester comes out clean. cool in pans for 10 minutes then cool on a rack for 2 hours. wonderful with a little softened butter.
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Other messages in this thread:
- 14173. ISO a great recipe for lemon bread (tea cake type) to use up my Meyers lemons [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 3:54am on 03/18/09 (15)
- This is the best one I've ever found Luisa- it is T&T Lemon Batter Bread - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:07am on 03/18/09
- I'll try this one when I can get some milk from the store. [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 2:22am on 03/20/09
- Here's my favorite lemon bread from Gourmet - Heather_in_SF - 2:19am on 03/19/09
- Here's another idea for your Meyers - my Granny's REC: Lemon Cake Pudding - Heather_in_SF - 2:24am on 03/19/09
- fixed encoding version - pmassell_93 - 5:03pm on 11/29/17
- What shortening do you use? Butter or Crisco? [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 12:38am on 03/20/09
- Crisco - I've tried it with butter and it has a different texture. - Heather_in_SF - 12:43am on 03/20/09
- Thanks, I like to use butter flavor Crisco in pie crusts. [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 1:24am on 03/20/09
- I had some buttermilk so I decided to try this recipe first. They are in the oven... - Luisa_Calif - 2:20am on 03/20/09
- These turned out kind of dry with little lemon taste even though I upped the zest. [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 3:40pm on 03/21/09
- Pat, From the Barmy Baker Blog - Pierre Herme's Lemon Loaf [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 12:23pm on 03/19/09
- Sorry, Luisa, I was thinking of Pat I guess. [NT] - GayR - 12:21am on 03/20/09
- Thanks for thinking of me, Gay. The irony is I too have a boatload of meyer lemons to use right now. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:29am on 03/20/09
- thanks everyone. I'll try to get to this this weekend. The marmalade I made was bitter and - Luisa_Calif - 12:42am on 03/20/09
- Luisa, there are several T&T lemon cakes and breads up in T&T. take a look. [NT] - AngAk - 5:16pm on 03/20/09