Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Julia Child’s Gigot a la Moutarde (Herbal Mustard Coating for Roast lamb) My favourite!!!!
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #14347 at 11:44 am on Apr 4, 2009
This is the recipe I turn to most often when cooking leg of lamb. The mustard coating seals in the juices and gives the meat a wonderful flavour.
Julia Child’s Gigot a la Moutarde (Herbal Mustard Coating for Roast lamb)
1/2 cup Dijon-style prepared mustard
2 T. soy sauce
1 clove finely minced garlic
1 tsp. ground dried rosemary
1/4 tsp. powdered ginger (I use 1 tbsp. fresh ginger when I have it.)
2 T. olive oil
Blend the mustard, soy sauce, garlic, herbs, and ginger together in a bowl. Beat in the olive oil by droplets to make a mayonnaise-like cream.
Paint the lamb with the mixture and sit it on the rack of the roasting pan. The meat will pick up more flavor if it is coated several hours before roasting.
Roast in a 350 degree oven, 1 to 1 1/4 hours, for medium rare; or 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours for well done.
Deglaze the pan with a little beef broth, hot water, or wine; defat and strain the liquid and spoon over sliced lamb. (I usually serve the pan juices separately,)
Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child
Other messages in this thread:
- 14347. ISO of tried & true leg of lamb recipes for Easter. Please post here. I'll start [NT] - FloriSandy - 6:05am on 04/04/09 (13)
- Rec: Roast Leg of Lamb with White Beans [NT] [LINK] - FloriSandy - 6:25am on 04/04/09
- Herb-Crusted Leg of Lamb - Sylvia - 11:34am on 04/04/09
- Julia Child’s Gigot a la Moutarde (Herbal Mustard Coating for Roast lamb) My favourite!!!! - Sylvia - 11:44am on 04/04/09
- Lamb, in our house, is always served with a side of flageolet. - Sylvia - 12:44pm on 04/04/09
- This is our favorite lamb too. It's perfect and I am making it this week. NT [NT] - elaine - 4:08am on 04/05/09
- Ditto on this recipe! [NT] - Sarah in Charleston - 12:14pm on 04/07/09
- FloriSandy, Here is a recipe from the great Craig Claiborne & Pierre Franey - Sanya Timmon's Gigot A [LINK] - GayR - 12:28pm on 04/04/09
- That's Sanya Timmons's Gigot A La Cuillere Haitienne (Leg Of Lamb Spoon-Style) [NT] - GayR - 12:30pm on 04/04/09
- Here's a good one for the grill. Rec: Grilled Leg of Lamb with Cilantro Pesto. - KC_ - 6:58pm on 04/04/09
- My favorite T&T Grilled Butterflied Leg Of Lamb - CathyZ from Kauai - 7:52pm on 04/04/09
- These look great and thank you everyone! I'll post what I make. Decisions, decisions.... [NT] - FloriSandy - 11:10pm on 04/04/09
- Our favorite is Madhur Jaffrey's Lamb with two peppers - Lana in FL - 5:21pm on 04/05/09
- and more decisions... thanks Lana [NT] - FloriSandy - 3:03am on 04/06/09