Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Sandi in Hawaii||
REC: Julie R in WA's Fresh Asparagus Mushroom Salad
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #1484 at 6:09 pm on Apr 16, 2006
Sylvia's asparagus salad reminded me of another one from Julie R - WA
Fresh Asparagus Mushroom Salad
1 lb baby asparagus
4 oz sliced mushrooms, or more to taste
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, crushed (more if you're fond of garlic)
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup loosely packed chopped basil
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan or Mizithra cheese
salt, to taste
Trim the asparagus (keeping the darker green and less fibrous parts) and cut into 1-inch pieces. Thinly slice the mushrooms. Simmer the asparagus in 1/2 cup of water with a pinch of salt until it is tender (about 10-13 minutes).
While the asparagus is simmering, whisk the lemon juice, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and garlic together. Gradually add the olive oil and then the black pepper.
Once you have drained the asparagus and let it cool, gently toss it with half of the dressing to coat it well. Toss the remaining dressing with the basil and the mushrooms, and sprinkle the mixture over the asparagus. Season to taste with salt, garnish with freshly grated Parmesan or Mizithra cheese, and serve.
Love the fresh basil in this dish! I'll sometimes add chopped tomatoes and/or chopped cukes to the salad, and stir-fry the asparagus instead of blanching until tender-crisp.
I can't do cheese, so I usually just add more salt to the vinaigrette.
p.s. Just wondering - did Julie ever make it over here to Finer Kitchens...?
Link: Link to Julie's recipe in the archives
Other messages in this thread:
- 1484. Besides steaming, does anyone have an exciting asparagus recipe? [NT] - MiainMD - 3:31am on 04/15/06 (28)
- Roasting is my absolute fave. [NT] - Durward - 3:35am on 04/15/06
- I agree, while I do not eat asparagus, I do make it for those who do like it... - marg - 3:53am on 04/15/06
- Roasting is my fave as well. Spray with evolive oil, add sea salt, and yumm!!! [NT] - Denice - 1:35pm on 04/15/06
- Ditto, roasting with a little bit of olive oil, salt & maybe some balsamic [NT] - Mimi - 5:24pm on 04/15/06
- I have to go with roasting or grilling. I usually make an italian dressing - TracyBAz - 7:37pm on 04/15/06
- Go to post 1020, or follow link. Blanching is much better than steaming, IMHO. [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 4:33am on 04/15/06
- From the LA Times. This looked good enuff to keep REC: Asparagus Flans - Steve2 in LA - 8:04am on 04/15/06
- Stir-fried - rhoward2va - 11:39am on 04/15/06
- Asparagus Pesto [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 2:15pm on 04/15/06
- or Asparagus Lasagne - Shaun in TO - 2:19pm on 04/15/06
- To get my kids to eat it... - Carianna in WA - 3:18pm on 04/15/06
- Great idea! [NT] - Denice - 3:18am on 04/19/06
- 'Marinate' for a couple of hours (it's really just a good soaking) in hazelnut oil, - Marg CDN - 3:44pm on 04/15/06
- I grill asparagus too- any kind of oil- and toss with toasted sesame seed before serving. Delicious. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:44pm on 04/15/06
- REC: Asparagus in Warm Tarragon-Pecan Vinaigrette - RuthAB - 7:10pm on 04/15/06
- Thanks Ruth! My tarragon is coming on full force so I'm looking for recipes - GayleMO - 2:01am on 04/16/06
- Thanks for all the ideas! NT [NT] - MiainMD - 2:05am on 04/16/06
- My favorite: Roasted Asparagus With Crisp Shallots.... - Meryl - 2:07am on 04/16/06
- Two delicious asapagus salad recipes. Yum! - Sylvia - 1:20pm on 04/16/06
- LOL! Some people might call them asparagus salads. [NT] - Sylvia - 2:25pm on 04/16/06
- REC: Julie R in WA's Fresh Asparagus Mushroom Salad [LINK] - Sandi in Hawaii - 6:09pm on 04/16/06
- Doesn't look like Julie R is in the member list. Maybe someone knows how to reach her? By the way, - Meryl - 7:19pm on 04/16/06
- Indeed. Where is she? I've been wondering for several months now. [NT] - Marg CDN - 3:50am on 04/17/06
- Try Recipezaar, I don't know if she is active there, but she has a lot of recipes there. [NT] - Dawn_MO - 1:29pm on 04/17/06
- Also has anyone heard from Laurie/S.B.? [NT] - Dawn_MO - 1:52pm on 04/17/06
- Add some nice thick raw spears to a veggie platter---so sweet and good. [NT] - AngAk - 5:45pm on 04/17/06
- Asparagus wrapped in prosciutto--listed in favorite appetizers [NT] - joyce in upstate NY - 9:29pm on 04/20/06
- Appetizers: #76 ;) [NT] - joyce in upstate NY - 9:51pm on 04/21/06