Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Tortilla Espaņola. I've been trying to get the hang of this simple potato tapas,
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #14854 at 8:24 pm on May 19, 2009
and I think I finally have, after reading several recipes. I found that parboiling the potatoes makes a huge difference--they cook more evenly and the texture is lighter. Also, stirring the potatoes into the eggs to coat them individually works much better than pouring the eggs over the potatoes in the skillet. Some recipes call for garlic or herbs but I liked it best plain--just potatoes, onions and eggs.
1 medium onion
Olive oil, about 1/4 cup in all
1 lb. potatoes (I used white rose)
Slice the onion vertically. Heat a little olive oil in a 12" non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook the onion with a pinch of salt, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until very tender and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut into thin slices. Put them in a pan covered with salted water and bring to the simmer. Simmer slowly until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
Drain the potatoes and add them to the onions in the skillet, adding more oil if necessary. Season with salt and pepper, turn up the heat, and toss until tender and browned.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Stir the potato mixture into the eggs quickly, so that the eggs don't scramble. Wipe out the skillet and add a little more oil. Pour the potato mixture into the skillet and spread evenly. Cook without stirring until the bottom is nicely browned and the whole mass slides easily in the pan, about 5 minutes. Invert onto a plate, add more oil to the pan, and slide the tortilla back into the pan, browned side up. Cook a couple minutes more, until the bottom is set, then slide out onto a platter or board.
Let cool. Serve tepid or room temperature, cut into wedges.
Other messages in this thread:
- 14854. REC: Tortilla Espaņola. I've been trying to get the hang of this simple potato tapas, - Joe - 8:24pm on 05/19/09 (4)
- It was really good with Patricia Wells' roasted peppers [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 8:26pm on 05/19/09
- If you can hide your eyes from the calorie count I use Penelope Casas' recipe. You simmer - Melissa Dallas - 9:39pm on 05/19/09
- That's an interesting approach. I bet it's not that much oilier than my version. [NT] - Joe - 10:01pm on 05/19/09
- I like to leave it a bit runny inside... - Sandra in New York - 12:14am on 05/25/09