Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
FloriSandy

Rec: Cajun Chicken and Andouille Filť Gumbo. I loved this!

Veteran Member
3841 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #15060 at 12:45 pm on Jun 7, 2009

CAJUN CHICKEN AND ANDOUILLE FIL… GUMBO

I had this for dinner last night and I just loved the deep earthy flavor thatís derived from the dark brown roux. This is the first gumbo Iíve made and itís very time consuming but worth it.

I used approximately 3 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken thighs browned in two batches in my 7.5 qt. Dutch oven thatís the perfect size. I used the following:

Aidellís precooked andouille

Wondra flour

1/2 chopped red bell pepper (I donít like green)

Kitchen Basicsí low sodium chicken stock

Muir Glen fire roasted diced tomatoes (14 oz. can)

Be sure to add the garlic along with the onions, etc. as the recipe omitted that instruction.

I did seem to have some technical difficulties in making thisÖ Although the oil was very hot, the chicken stuck even after turning only once after four minutes each side. I frantically scraped up the large chicken bits and put them on the plated chicken before adding the flour. After adding the flour, I stirred and scraped the bottom consistently with a wooden spoon. It took less than 15 minutes for the roux to darken to a thick, dark brown chocolate color keeping the heat on medium-high. The bottom of my Le Creuset was black but mostly dissolved soon after stirring in the stock. After soaking the pot, I used a little Bar Keeperís Friend that removed the blackish stain.

The recipe indicates adding one can of tomatoes so I added a 14 oz. can. I think another can would work better. It only took about 50 minutes of simmering to finish.

I stirred in the filť powder to the serving bowls but it didnít help much to thicken. If it wasnít so late, I would have served it over brown rice but Iíll do that tonight and I have tons left.

Link: Cajun Chicken and Andouille Filť Gumbo

Other messages in this thread: