Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Chewy Brownies from Fine Cooking Mag....
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #1587 at 7:50 pm on Apr 24, 2006
I haven't tried these myself, but I've always had good results with recipes from Fine Cooking.
Added flour helps to give these brownies their chewiness. It's important not to overbake these or they'll dry out.
Yields sixteen 2-inch squares.
4 oz. (8 Tbs.) unsalted butter; more for the pan
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1-1/2 cups sugar
Scant 1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs, at room temperature
4-1/2 oz. (1 cup) flour
2 Tbs. natural cocoa (not Dutch-processed)
Position an oven rack on the middle rung. Heat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch square pan, line the pan bottom with parchment (or waxed paper), and then butter the parchment.
In a double boiler over simmering water, melt the butter and chocolate. Remove the pan from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in the sugar, salt, and vanilla. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, stirring each time until blended. Add the flour and cocoa; beat until incorporated and the mixture is smooth, 30 to 60 seconds. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the top is uniformly colored with no indentation and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean, with a few moist crumbs clinging to it, 35 to 45 min.
Set the pan on a rack until cool enough to handle. Run a paring knife around the inside edge of the pan and then invert the pan onto a flat surface and peel off the parchment. Flip the baked brownie back onto the rack to cool completely. Cut into squares with a sharp knife.
• This recipe can be doubled easily; use a 13X9-inch pan and increase the baking time slightly.
• The recipe gives a range of baking times -- use the shorter time for metal pans, the longer for Pyrex pans.
From Baking Brownies Just Right: Cakey, Chewy, or Fudgy
Recipe by Cindy Mitchell
Fine Cooking Magazine
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 1587. ISO brownie recipe that produces a chewy brownie - audball - 7:04pm on 04/24/06 (10)
- Leftover pork tenderloin - Susan - 7:14pm on 04/24/06
- you could chop it and add 5 minutes before finishing a rice pilaff. [NT] - rvb - 7:18pm on 04/24/06
- REC: Chewy Brownies from Fine Cooking Mag.... - Meryl - 7:50pm on 04/24/06
- I made these and loved them! [NT] - Sandi in Hawaii - 7:49am on 04/25/06
- Yay! [NT] - Meryl - 8:16pm on 04/25/06
- I made them last night but no way could I have cooked them for 35 minutes... - ValinFL - 12:45pm on 04/25/06
- No, I don't adjust the timing, unless I'm baking them in mini-muffin pans... - Sandi in Hawaii - 4:29pm on 04/25/06
- Val, did you by any chance use a dark, nonstick pan? If so, you need to reduce .. - Meryl - 7:39pm on 04/25/06
- Bingo, Meryl!!!! That's precisely the situation...I thank you! [NT] - ValinFL - 7:53pm on 04/25/06
- Hey, I wish all problems were that easy to solve! You're very welcome! [NT] - Meryl - 7:58pm on 04/25/06