Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Back in 1990 I made Epi's Raspberry White Chocolate Mousse Cake with awful results; my genoise was
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Posted to Thread #15123 at 1:50 pm on Jun 13, 2009
rubbery (Shades of my Key Lime Pie, I know!). It was the first time I tackled a genoise, and I followed the directions in the recipe to a T but it was a bomb.
I would like to attempt this recipe again in August, so I've read several detailed documents about making genoise and now understand that it's a tricker cake than what I ever imagined. Do any of you out there have good references to assist me BESIDES Susan G. Purdy's A PIECE OF CAKE; Rose Levy Bernbaum's THE CAKE BIBLE; and Carole Walter's GREAT CAKES? I read somewhere that Jacques Pepin has a good step-by-step document for a White Chocolate Genoise, but I cannot find that one by Pepin on the Internet.
Any and all hints would be greatly appreciated. TIA. Wigs
Other messages in this thread:
- 15123. Back in 1990 I made Epi's Raspberry White Chocolate Mousse Cake with awful results; my genoise was [LINK] - wigs - 1:50pm on 06/13/09 (13)
- wigs - Here is Christopher Kimball's Foolproof Sponge Cake recipe you might like to read [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 4:02pm on 06/13/09
- The problem I had with this cake is the layers slid apart. The taste was wonderful but - Sylvia - 6:47pm on 06/13/09
- Sylvia, Sorry to hear your experience with the recipe...I think the technique is the problem in - GayR - 7:50pm on 06/13/09
- If I ever try that recipe again I would make rounds instead of rectangles and build the cake - Sylvia - 10:55am on 06/15/09
- I used to make a cake that had a 'slippery' lemon filling. I resorted to using wooden - wigs - 2:02pm on 06/14/09
- Those thin wooden Japanese skewers work great - you could always leave them sticking up - cheezz - 4:11pm on 06/14/09
- Gourmet Magazine Test Kitchen Video - How To Make Genoise [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 7:46pm on 06/13/09
- Great reading material, and I cannot wait to check out the video. I figured the recipe was sorely - wigs - 2:08pm on 06/14/09
- Bummer...I've had great results with RLB's Cake Bible version. - MarilynFL - 11:50am on 06/15/09
- Marilyn--here are the ingredients & directions 4 the genoise portion (entire REC @ 15123 link above) - wigs - 6:45pm on 06/16/09
- Does anyone know where to find REC for Jacques Pepin's White Chocolate Sponge? I - wigs - 7:01pm on 06/16/09
- didn't find the sponge recipe, but here are 80 recipes by Jacques Pepin >> [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 11:11pm on 06/16/09
- Thanks so much, cheezz! I'm on my way to view all those wonderful recipes. [NT] - wigs - 5:07pm on 06/20/09