Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Roasted Chicken in Milk, tasty but visually......
Joined: Dec 21, 2005
Posted to Thread #15250 at 7:18 am on Jun 24, 2009
It was so funny, I made this last night over at a friends place, and was merrily cooking away, it looked terrific after browning, and while it was cooking the house smelled so good! After 90 minutes it was perfectly cooked, so tender and yet so flavorful.
The sauce, however, was very very unattractive. I made a bagna cauda with a big bowl of romaine spears, celery and a tomato with a knife tucked in the bowl (my "deconstructed/unconstructed" salad), and foccachia from TJ's. Next to this lovely sight I put the sauce from the chicken in a bowl as I just couldn't bear to obstruct the lovely chicken with it. I said nothing.
My friend and I tucked in, tasting this and that, and she looks at the sauce and says:
A: It looks curdled.
H: Yes, supposedly the lemon zest does that.
H: Well, does it taste good?
A: (Looking away from the sauce), yeahhh..... (pause)
H: You don't like it?
A: It tastes good but..... (pause)
Then she said something that I cannot quote only to state that most ladies have had the unfortunate experience of needing to visit the doc for some treatment for a common ailment, and that the sauce reminded her of this tragic experience, and we just looked at each other without speaking for a few moments. Then, burst into such peals of laughter! My sides were aching. We made her dogs bark and circle the table! Only true friends could get over a moment such as this.
Without a word I carried the offending sauce to the kitchen, put it on the floor and hollered "Doggies!!!" They came running and solved the problem. Then we enjoyed the rest of the dinner. Oh my, it truly was delicious! But hilarious and not a recipe I will repeat. Not after *that*.
I am, however, considering trying this with coconut milk and perhaps lime zest instead of lemon or omitting the sage or something like that, just to play around with it a bit. Or maybe not....
(my apologies if anyone is offended by this tale, I thought it was just really hilarious).
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Other messages in this thread:
- 15250. Roasted Chicken in Milk, tasty but visually...... - Heather_in_SF - 7:18am on 06/24/09 (14)
- reminded me of Marcella Hazan... - evelyn-athens - 8:02am on 06/24/09
- I too would go this route...sounds lovely. [NT] - joanietoo - 1:06pm on 06/24/09
- A number of recipes for the pork warn that it's not "attractive" -- assuming you're from a country - Shaun in TO - 1:50pm on 06/24/09
- I used to make Marcella's too, until I tried Shaun's. Even better. (sorry Marcella) [NT] [LINK] - Marg CDN - 2:36pm on 06/24/09
- Actually Saveur's. But with garlic, sage, lemon, and cream, how can it NOT be better? [NT] - Shaun in TO - 7:34pm on 06/24/09
- I make Marcella's but then at the end, I put a stick blender to it - Music City Missy - 6:29pm on 06/24/09
- Amen to laughter around the table. Better than salt anyday. [lucky doggies] [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:59pm on 06/24/09
- Hilarious Heather. It is better served by candle light as we do!! I also stripped it in the .... - joanietoo - 1:04pm on 06/24/09
- I'm really liking these "deconstructed" salads you all are coming up with. I must try this soon [NT] - AngAk - 6:03pm on 06/24/09
- I'll post a picture tomorrow, it looks so cool, nestled in it's deep bowl... [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 7:28am on 06/25/09
- Here is a pic of my deconstructed salad! - Heather_in_SF - 7:58am on 06/26/09
- Love your report, but will pass on the chicken! [NT] - suz - 1:09pm on 06/24/09
- We have close friends who are, to put it mildly, VERY picky eaters. The hubby... - Michael in Phoenix - 1:46pm on 06/24/09
- LOL [NT] - AngAk - 6:02pm on 06/24/09