Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Naples||
REC: Roast Beet and Pomegranate Soup with Spiced Apple-Mint Crema
Joined: Dec 18, 2005
Posted to Thread #15316 at 11:12 am on Jun 29, 2009
Roast Beet and Pomegranate Soup with Spiced Apple-mint Crema
Recipe By : Executive Chef Craig Hetherington
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound medium beets -- stems removed
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
1/4 cup carrot -- small dice
1/4 cup celery -- small dice
1 teaspoon minced garlic
6 cups chicken stock
1 ounce pomegranate juice -- (1 to 12)
1/2 cup pistachio nut -- toasted and crushed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a bowl, place the beets, 2 tablespoons of oil, salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Spread the beets on a baking sheet and roast until caramelized or tender in the middle, about 1 hour. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, peel beets and cut into ˝-inch cubes.
In a medium, heavy pot, heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the carrot and celery, and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the roast beets, pomegranate juice and stock. Bring the soup to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool slightly.
With a hand immersion blender, or in batches in a blender, puree the soup. Serve hot or refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours and serve chilled.
Top either hot or chilled soup with the apple-mint crema and toasted pistachios.
"Traca Finer Kitchens"
Other messages in this thread:
- 15316. So, CB decided to roast several pounds of fresh beets and now it's up to me to figure out something - Steve2 in LA - 6:28am on 06/29/09 (24)
- Borscht? [NT] - Meryl - 8:18am on 06/29/09
- From my files to try:Roasted beets & carrots with cumin vinaigrette, chickpea puree, & flatbread [LINK] - Meryl - 8:24am on 06/29/09
- Chickpea Puree for above recipe: [LINK] - Meryl - 8:25am on 06/29/09
- Photo at: [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 8:26am on 06/29/09
- Another one from my files: Baby beets with mango vinaigrette - Meryl - 8:27am on 06/29/09
- This sounds different: Beet Risotto With Walnuts and Gorgonzola Cheese [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 8:35am on 06/29/09
- Three more to check out from Food & Wine (Yes, I should be sleeping)! [NT] - Meryl - 8:46am on 06/29/09
- Roasted Salmon, Beets, and Potatoes with Horseradish Cream [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 8:47am on 06/29/09
- Roasted Beets with Cheese-Stuffed Dates [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 8:47am on 06/29/09
- Mexican Chopped Salad with Beets and Walnut Dressing [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 8:48am on 06/29/09
- Okay, Good night! [NT] - Meryl - 8:48am on 06/29/09
- (Hope you can find something you like from this list)! [NT] - Meryl - 8:48am on 06/29/09
- REC: Roast Beet and Pomegranate Soup with Spiced Apple-Mint Crema - Michael in Sarasota - 11:12am on 06/29/09
- REC: Chlodnik (Chilled Buttermilk Soup with Beets, Cucumber, Radish, and Dill) [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 1:15pm on 06/29/09
- REC: Cold Beet Soup - Shaun in TO - 1:18pm on 06/29/09
- REC: Red Polenta (a nice base for grilled sausage) - Shaun in TO - 1:25pm on 06/29/09
- REC: Spicy Beet Bites [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 1:29pm on 06/29/09
- REC: Beet Cake with Lemon Mascarpone Frosting (nice change from the usual chocolate versions) [NT] [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 1:34pm on 06/29/09
- Just beet it! (Sorry, with all the Michael Jackson references around, I couldn't resist.) [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 2:29pm on 06/29/09
- And once you get sick of them, you can freeze them, peeled whole, sliced or diced. [NT] - Shaun in TO - 2:52pm on 06/29/09
- Wow, you guys. Great ideas. Thanks for your input. [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 11:52pm on 06/29/09
- Here's a good one from hAnydman, back at Gail's. Rec: Beet and Coriander Puree - KC_ - 12:59pm on 07/01/09
- If there are any beets left, I made up a recipe a couple of week back... [LINK] - evelyn-athens - 9:12pm on 07/01/09
- Thanks again, all. I ended up roasting them with baby carrots in butter and balsamic vinegar. [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 4:04am on 07/02/09