Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
YES!!! I've made this twice and it really is a PERFECT coconut cream pie!
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #15394 at 5:49 am on Jul 9, 2009
Plus, the crust is so amazingly crunchy (even the 3rd day) that I've used it in other pies. The cream filling is very 'coconutty' too.
COCONUT CREAM PIE
Makes one 9-inch pie, serving 8 to 10. Published May 1, 2004.
Light coconut milk lacks rich coconut flavor, so skip it in favor of regular coconut milk.
6 ounces animal crackers
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted and cooled
14 ounces coconut milk (1 can)
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3/8 teaspoon table salt
5 large egg yolks
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 2 pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped Cream and Garnish
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (cold)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut , toasted in a small dry skillet until golden brown
1. For the crust: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. In food processor, pulse animal crackers, coconut, and sugar to fine crumbs, eighteen to twenty 1-second pulses; then process until powdery, about 5 seconds. Transfer crumbs to medium bowl and add butter; stir to combine until crumbs are evenly moistened. Empty crumbs into 9-inch glass pie plate; using bottom of ramekin or 1/2 cup dry measuring cup, press crumbs evenly into bottom and up sides of pie plate. Bake until fragrant and medium brown, about 15 minutes, rotating pie shell halfway through baking time. Set on wire rack and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
2. For the filling: Bring coconut milk, whole milk, shredded coconut, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt to simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to ensure that sugar dissolves. Following illustrations 1 through 6, whisk yolks, cornstarch, and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Whisking constantly, gradually ladle about 1 cup hot milk mixture over yolk mixture; whisk well to combine. Whisking constantly, gradually add remaining milk mixture to yolk mixture in 3 or 4 additions; whisk well to combine. Return mixture to saucepan and cook until thickened and mixture reaches boil, whisking constantly, about 1 minute; filling must boil in order to fully thicken. (To determine whether filling has reached boil, stop whisking; large bubbles should quickly burst on surface.) Off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla until butter is fully incorporated. Pour hot filling into cooled pie shell and smooth surface with rubber spatula; press plastic wrap directly against surface of filling and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 12 hours.
3. For the whipped cream: Just before serving, beat cream, sugar, and vanilla with electric mixer until soft peaks form, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Top pie with whipped cream and then sprinkle with coconut. Cut pie into wedges and serve.
Link: Cook's Illustrated - Coconut Cream Pie
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 15394. Does this sound like coconut cream pie to you? ISO your favorite recipe for a good one! - DawnNYS - 4:05am on 07/06/09 (8)
- No, you're not. It has been years since I got a good piece of pie out. Once was in a tea shop - MarilynFL - 12:16pm on 07/06/09
- DawnNYS - Meryl posted a fabulous Coconut Cream Pie from Cook's Illustrated .... [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 12:25pm on 07/06/09
- Thanks! THAT's what I call coc cream pie. Will try it soon, to get that - DawnNYS - 3:53pm on 07/06/09
- YES!!! I've made this twice and it really is a PERFECT coconut cream pie! [LINK] - cheezz - 5:49am on 07/09/09
- This is really good. I've made it as well, now that I started checking my recipes. I did this... - Michael in Phoenix - 12:40am on 05/28/12
- Another good one from Gale Gand REC: Coconut Cream Pie with Chocolate Painted Crust... - charlie - 9:17pm on 07/06/09
- Thanks - these all look so good! [NT] - DawnNYS - 2:31am on 07/08/09
- Ok. Just for fun: remember the old Gilligan's Island shows where they made... - Michael in Phoenix - 12:43am on 05/28/12