Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Bought some overpriced fig jam and decided I could make some that was better and cheaper.
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #15576 at 7:41 pm on Jul 21, 2009
This is the result...and I was right.
Australian Spiced Dried Fig Jam
Small Batch Preserving
8 oz. Dried figs
1 ¼ cups water
4 ½ cups sugar
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
1 Box dry fruit pectin
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
¼ cup fresh lemon juice- I used a bit more
Combine figs and water and let stand for 8 hours or overnight
Drain figs, reserving liquid. Remove and discard stems and chop fruit finely. Place chopped fruit in a 4- cup liquid measure and add reserved liquid and enough water to bring level to 3 cups.
Combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in small bowl. Set aside.
Place fig mixture, pectin, lemon rind and juice in large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar/spice mixture, return to full boil and boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Ladle into sterilized jars (I just wash mine and fill with hot water) and process in BWB for 10 minutes.
Makes 5/ 8 oz. Jars with about 4 oz. Left for sampling.
Other messages in this thread:
- 15576. Bought some overpriced fig jam and decided I could make some that was better and cheaper. - CynUpstateNY - 7:41pm on 07/21/09 (14)
- Printed! this sounds wonderful. [NT] - AngAk - 7:45pm on 07/21/09
- This sounds really great! I too, purchased fig jam recently; I think it was close to $6.00 - barb_b - 7:50pm on 07/21/09
- Cyn, mine is even simpler than that. Great over cheese, pork or lamb. REC > > > - Steve2 in LA - 9:19pm on 07/21/09
- I'm thinking Camambert and thin, really crispy baguette slices. [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 12:34am on 07/23/09
- Camembert! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 12:34am on 07/23/09
- would this be good an a round of Brie, then baked? like with cranberry sauce etc. [NT] - AngAk - 12:48am on 07/23/09
- Sure would but around 3 this morning I found it was good eaten directly from the jar. [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 7:56am on 07/23/09
- ha! [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:10pm on 07/23/09
- Speaking of figs......... Was served this magnificent Fig and Kalamata Olive Tapenade today. YUM! - Sylvia - 10:33pm on 07/21/09
- mmmmm!! I had that at a cheese tasting and it was really delicious - thanks! [NT] - cheezz - 10:56pm on 07/21/09
- Sylvia, I made this for a family gathering a while back... - judy-mass - 3:24am on 07/22/09
- Sounds lovely, Sylvia, thanks for posting it! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 8:05am on 07/22/09
- figs were $5 a basket at the local farmer's market this morning - is that a good price? [NT] - cheezz - 6:37pm on 07/25/09
- OMG yum. I *just* put all my canning stuff in the garage sale pile. Maybe I should hang on to it. [NT] - Mimi - 9:21pm on 07/22/09