Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #15778 at 9:34 pm on Aug 6, 2009
1/2 lb. butter, divided
1 onion, chopped fine
6 cloves of garlic
3 lbs. ground beef
16 oz. tomato sauce
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 lbs. macaroni
2 cups romano
8 eggs, lightly beaten with 1 cup milk
12 oz. butter
3/4 cup flour
6 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
6 eggs, beaten
Melt 8 oz. butter, add onion, garlic, meat, and simmer. Stir in tomato sauce and spices. Cook until meat and onions are lightly browned.
Boil macaroni in salted water until al dente, rinse well with cold water and drain. Melt remaining 8 oz. butter and cook to a golden nut brown. Add butter and cheese to the macaroni. Brush a 13X16X3 inch pan with olive oil, coat bottom and sides with cormeal.
Spread half of the macaroni in bottom of pan. Pour the meat sauce evenly over the macaroni, smooth, then top with remaining macaroni. Pour the beaten eggs over the pasta. Run a knife through a couple times to make slits through the layers for the mixture to run through.
Make crema: Melt butter over low heat. Sprinkle in flour and stir until lighly brown. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly. Salt to taste. Slowly addd beaten eggs over low heat, constantly whisking stirring so as not to scorch or burn, until thickened. Pour the crema over the prepared pan of macaroni, slightly tapping and shaking the pan to settle the sauce.
Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until golden brown. Cut into squares, makes 24-28 servings, depending on size.
Other messages in this thread:
- 15778. REC: Moussaka for Marianne - Richard in Cincy - 9:19pm on 08/06/09 (4)
- REC: Pastitsio - Richard in Cincy - 9:34pm on 08/06/09
- Thanks, Richard. This looks like the one I;ve been searching for. I'm on my way to the lamb store - Marianne - 8:18am on 08/07/09
- Lamb store? I'm intrigued, does it just carry lamb? [NT] - Curious1 - 9:39am on 08/07/09
- No, I'm being facetious. It's the only store in a 100-mile radius (Fresh Market) that carries fresh - Marianne - 9:37am on 08/08/09