Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Sprinkles Vanilla-Peppermint Cupcakes
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #15803 at 7:05 pm on Aug 9, 2009
Recipe created by Candace Nelson, owner of Sprinkles Cupcakes
Ingredients:Makes 1 dozen cupcakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , sifted
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 cup whole milk , room temperature
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter , room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg , room temperature
2 large egg whites , room temperature
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter , firm but not cold
1/8 tsp. salt
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar , sifted
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
1/2 tsp. milk
To make cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
In a small bowl, mix together milk and extracts; set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
To make frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Reduce the speed to low, gradually add the confectioners' sugar and beat until incorporated. Add the extracts and milk and beat until smooth and creamy. Do not overmix or the frosting will incorporate too much air; it should be creamy and dense, like ice cream. Add additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, if frosting does not have a spreadable consistency.
To frost: Scoop a generous amount of frosting on top of a cooled cupcake. Hold the cupcake in one hand and with the other hand use a small offset spatula to smooth the frosting over the entire top of the cupcake. To achieve the Sprinkles look, use the length of the spatula to create large swirls around the circumference of the cupcake. Or for a more homespun and rustic quality, use the tip of the spatula to create small ridges and waves in the frosting.
Be careful to handle the cupcake with care and not grip it too tightly, which can crush the delicate cake. In general, the less the cupcake is handled, the better. An experienced Sprinkles froster can frost a cupcake with only a few turns of the spatula!
Top with crushed candy canes!
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 15803. Project: Calling all Cupcakes! How many recipes can we list? [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 9:33pm on 08/08/09 (40)
- Flo Braker's Bite-Size Cocoa Cabana Cupcakes - MariaDNoCA - 9:54pm on 08/08/09
- I have lots on my to-try list - here are a few: [NT] - Meryl - 10:01pm on 08/08/09
- Boston Cream Cupcakes [LINK] - Meryl - 10:01pm on 08/08/09
- Individual Coconut rum chocolate cakes [LINK] - Meryl - 10:03pm on 08/08/09
- Orange Cupcakes with orange cream cheese frosting [LINK] - Meryl - 10:05pm on 08/08/09
- Lime tea cupcakes with citrus curd filling & lime cream cheese frosting [LINK] - Meryl - 10:09pm on 08/08/09
- Double dark chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter filling [LINK] - Meryl - 10:11pm on 08/08/09
- All of these look great, Meryl. [NT] - LisainLA - 5:42pm on 08/11/09
- Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla Cupcakes [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 10:38pm on 08/08/09
- Grace Parisi's - Food & Wine Perfecting the Cupcake Recipes (Fabulous) [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 11:04pm on 08/08/09
- Afternoon Tea Cakes - rhoward2va - 12:12am on 08/09/09
- Brownie Cupcakes - rhoward2va - 12:13am on 08/09/09
- Chocolate Chip Cupcakes - rhoward2va - 12:14am on 08/09/09
- Cream Filled Chocolate Cupcakes - rhoward2va - 12:15am on 08/09/09
- Grandmother's Johnnycakes - rhoward2va - 12:16am on 08/09/09
- Ultimate Flourless Chocolate cupcakes - rhoward2va - 12:17am on 08/09/09
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Icing I'm saving this recipe to try [LINK] - Ann - 12:25am on 08/09/09
- Despite the box of white cake mix, these do sound good. Different and light. [NT] - Shaun in TO - 7:52pm on 08/11/09
- The blackberry wine cake I posted below also starts with a cake mix.... - cheezz - 10:14pm on 08/11/09
- REC Margarita Cupcakes from same sight sounds good too [NT] [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 11:26pm on 08/17/09
- Made these last night - tart and yummy; will ice tonight - MariaDNoCA - 6:24pm on 08/18/09
- REC: Barefoot Contessa's Coconut Cupcakes... - charlie - 12:31am on 08/09/09
- I once had a fab recipe for Apple Spice Cupcakes if anyone comes across one. [NT] - elaine - 1:45am on 08/09/09
- Rich chocolate cupcakes - sorry don't know where this one came from... - elaine - 1:51am on 08/09/09
- REC: Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting [LINK] - cheezz - 3:58am on 08/09/09
- REC: Blackberry Wine Cake (makes great cupcakes - pretty pink) from GayleMO [LINK] - cheezz - 4:02am on 08/09/09
- REC: Tres Leches Cupcakes (I've been dying to try this one...) - cheezz - 4:03am on 08/09/09
- Rec: Choc Cupcakes w/Choc Buttercream Icing from Billy's Bakery NYC [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 6:43pm on 08/09/09
- REC: Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes w/Strawberry Frosting - MariaDNoCA - 7:00pm on 08/09/09
- Rec: Sprinkles Vanilla-Peppermint Cupcakes [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 7:05pm on 08/09/09
- Great stuff, keep 'em coming; link to MS CC recipes from new book [NT] [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 12:37am on 08/10/09
- I have hundreds... Will post Butterfly Cupcakes tomorrow. :))) [NT] - ErininNY - 11:09pm on 08/10/09
- Is it tomorrow yet?!!!! [NT] - dianncy1964 - 2:15am on 08/11/09
- Just wondering how many butterflies one needs to bake a batch? [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 3:55am on 08/11/09
- Steve! No actual butterflies involved. ;) - ErininNY - 3:01pm on 08/11/09
- Erin - kinda like this?? >>> [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 10:17pm on 08/11/09
- We learned to make these at school, - Lana in FL - 12:48am on 08/12/09
- Oops, that was meant for cheezz--but I wholeheartedly agree on the Funfetti. :) [NT] - ErininNY - 2:12am on 08/13/09
- Yep! [NT] - ErininNY - 2:11am on 08/13/09
- REC: Neighbor Dorothy's Heavenly Caramel Cake (cupcakes) [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 1:53am on 08/21/09