Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Pennsylvania Dutch Green Beans
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #1662 at 9:18 pm on May 1, 2006
I've been making these for over 20 years, always with the Thanksgiving turkey.
PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH GREEN BEANS
6 slices bacon
1-2 medium onions, chopped
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 Tablespoon vinegar
1 lb. fresh green beans, cut into short lengths and COOKED, OR 2 (10 oz.) pkgs.) frozen cut green beans, COOKED, OR 2 (1 lb) CANS cut string beans
1 cup fresh water, OR water from cooked frozen beans, Or 1/2 cup liquid from can plus 1/2 cup water
Fry bacon until crisp and drain on paper towel. Saute onion in bacon fat until golden. In small bowl, mix cornstarch, salt, mustard, sugar, and vinegar. Add liquid from beans and beat until smooth. Then add this mixture to bacon fat in pan and boil until thickened slightly. Add string beans and stir well. Crush bacon and sprinkle bacon bits on top of casserole. If you like you may garnish with sliced hard cooked egg. Serves 8.
Yankee Church Supper Cookbook
note: I usually add another can of beans and drain some of the bacon grease if there is a lot.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Other messages in this thread:
- 1662. ISO "Mustardy" Side Dishes - DawnNYS - 7:51pm on 05/01/06 (12)
- This is yummy - REC: Warm Mustard Potato Salad - LisainLA - 8:29pm on 05/01/06
- Pennsylvania Dutch Green Beans - AngAk - 9:18pm on 05/01/06
- REC: Citrus Green Bean Salad.. - Meryl - 10:01pm on 05/01/06
- I have been making this lately with the fresh small green beans from COSTCO and they are really ... - Luisa_Calif - 12:06am on 05/02/06
- Glad you like it. I agree - asparagus would work well, also. [NT] - Meryl - 1:16am on 05/02/06
- Another great one: "Carrot Rapee" from Debbie in GA ... - Meryl - 10:04pm on 05/01/06
- Has Debbie in Ga found us here at Mimi's? [NT] - AngAk - 10:12pm on 05/01/06
- She's listed as a member, but I don't think she's ever posted anything. [NT] - Meryl - 12:01am on 05/02/06
- REC: Deviled Cauliflower - Joe - 2:07am on 05/02/06
- Mix softened butter with half as much Dijon mustard and use to sauce - Curious1 - 12:35pm on 05/02/06
- Rec: Green Beans with Balsamic Glazed Onions (m) - barb_b - 12:43pm on 05/03/06
- Thanks - these all look great! Will let you know when I try each one. [NT] - DawnNYS - 6:04pm on 05/03/06