Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Gianduja Gelato recipe from "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #15843 at 5:43 pm on Aug 13, 2009
The Perfect Scoop, David Lebovitz
Makes about 1 Quart (1 Liter)
1 ½ cups hazelnuts, toasted*
1 cup whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
¾ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon coarse salt
4 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
5 large egg yolks
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
Rub the hazelnuts in a kitchen towel to remove as much of the papery skins as possible, then finely chop them in a food processor or blender.
Warm the milk with 1 cup of the cream, sugar, and the salt in a saucepan. Once warm, remove from the heat and add the chopped hazelnuts. Cover and let steep at room temperature for 1 hour.
Put the milk chocolate pieces in a large bowl. Heat the remaining 1 cup cream in a medium saucepan until it just begins to boil. Pour it over the milk chocolate pieces and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Set a mesh strainer over the top.
Pour the hazelnut-infused milk through a strainer into a medium saucepan, squeezing the nuts firmly with your hands to extract as much of the flavorful liquid as possible. Discard the hazelnuts.
Re-warm the hazelnut-infused mixture. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm hazelnut mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the milk chocolate mixture. Add the vanilla and stir until cool over an ice bath.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according the manufacturer’s instructions.
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- I don't think so, but I've never made gelato and don't know the - DawnNYS - 12:49pm on 08/13/09
- Speculating only: I don't think it would make a difference. Perhaps they didn't want to dilute the - MarilynFL - 2:23pm on 08/13/09
- Talked with a chocolatier friend of mine, here's what she said: [LINK] - Traca - 4:23pm on 08/13/09
- Well, this post just goes to prove I don't know squat. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:51pm on 08/13/09
- More on the topic. Pastry Chef Dana Cree adds more to the convo by saying... - Traca - 5:12pm on 08/13/09
- Gianduja Gelato recipe from "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz - Traca - 5:43pm on 08/13/09
- Ah! The bitter part never occurred to me. (What did I tell you about not being an intuitive cook?) T - Shaun in TO - 9:33pm on 08/13/09
- Or better yet, ditch that recipe & try David's. You won't be sorry... [NT] - Traca - 9:36pm on 08/13/09