Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
FRC: Does anyone in L.A. enjoy the Inn of the 7th Ray in Topanga Canyon? We just had a
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #15863 at 11:32 pm on Aug 14, 2009
wonderful evening there. We like it for special occasions and for out-of-town guests because of its unique setting--a rambling terrace above a creek in an oak grove, in the hills above Malibu. The decor and music are very new-agey but really beautiful
I have to admit the food isn't always up to the ambiance. So maybe it's because we haven't been eating out lately, (a friend gave us a gift card as an anniversary gift) and I've lost my critical edge, but our meal was exceptional. We started with the special appetizer: burrata-stuffed zucchini blossoms that were batter-fried in the lightest, crispest batter I've had, with a balsamic reduction, with a perfect slice of purple heirloom tomato topped with arugula salad.
Our main courses, pasted from the menu:
Pan Roast Wild Salmon
Peruvian Potato Dumplings, Forest Mushrooms, Pickled Shallots, Green Garlic Emulsion, Powdered Basil Oil
Lobster & Black Tiger Shrimp Cappellini
Kalamata-Meyer Lemon Butter, Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes, Basil
Combined with a good bottle of rosť and dusk settling over the canyon, it was really somethng.
I've always recommended this place even when the food wasn't stellar, but now I can recommend it unconditionally. I hope anyone who visits the L.A. area will keep it in mind.
Other messages in this thread:
- 15863. FRC: Does anyone in L.A. enjoy the Inn of the 7th Ray in Topanga Canyon? We just had a [LINK] - Joe - 11:32pm on 08/14/09 (5)
- Thanks Joe. We've got an anniversary coming up next month, maybe we'll take a drive up to Malibu! [NT] - LisainLA - 11:57pm on 08/14/09
- Spend the day at the beach and/or hiking in Topanga Canyon, then finish at the inn! - Joe - 1:40am on 08/15/09
- Is that kitzy clothing place still across the street? Old, moldy smell but interesting [NT] - cheezz - 2:00am on 08/15/09
- No, we noticed it is a very nice-looking trattoria now. Not sure if that is progress or not. [NT] - Joe - 2:04am on 08/15/09
- No... not really. The canyons are known for their eclectic stores and atmosphere... oh well! [NT] - cheezz - 6:48pm on 08/15/09