Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
AGM_Cape_Cod

Spiced Blueberry Marmalade is on my schedule this weekend!

111 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #15873 at 2:15 pm on Aug 16, 2009

SPICED BLUEBERRY MARMALADE
Preserving the Taste by Edon Wyacott

There can never be too many blueberry recipes for me. Yet, when I tried to create a blueberry jam, I was disappointed. The color was there, of course, the flavor was not. I found that adding citrus compensated for the lack of pectin in the berries and gave texture to the marmalade. Cinnamon provides a subtle spicy warmth.

Makes 5 half-pint jars

1 orange
1 lemon
¼ cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
4 cups fresh blueberries, washed and destemmed
3 cups sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash of freshly grated nutmeg

1. Peel the lemon and orange to produce wide strips of zest. Cut peel into very thin shreds. Place the zest in a shallow pan with 1-½ cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook on high heat for 10 minutes.

2. Using a sharp knife cut the ends off the ends of the fruit. Then using the knife cut away the white pith exposing the fruit beneath. Remove the pulp of the orange and lemon from the membranes and to the peel. Squeeze the membranes to extract any juice. Add this to the other juice and add to the pot. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes more. Add the blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the citrus mixture. Bring the marmalade to a boil and continue cooking, uncovered, for 20 minutes. The blueberries will pop open and the mixture will begin to thicken slightly and appear glossy.

3. Turn off the heat and remove a small amount of marmalade to a saucer and place in the freezer for 5 minutes. If the mixture wrinkles as a whole (not just a skin on top) when pushed to one side with a finer, it is ready to be jarred. This jam will thicken a great deal as it cools, so avoid overcooking.

4. Lade into hot sterilized jars, wipe the rims clean with a damp towel, and seal with new lids and metal rims. Process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes. Remove, cool, and check seals, label, and store.

NOTE: I use cinnamon sticks rather than ground cinnamon. I add it with the juices. Also I use very little sugar in my jam. I start with 1 cup of sugar and adjust from there. Sometimes it makes a runny jam but I don’t have that problem with this one.

Other messages in this thread: