Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
Charlie, more kudos for the REC: The Store Cold Ziti Salad w/ Tomatoes and Peppers
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #1679 at 4:28 am on May 3, 2006
I made it for dinner tonight and had a couple of friends in. More raves! That really is a good salad.
The Store Cold Ziti Salad with Tomato and Peppers
Recipe By: Bert Green
Serving Size: 8
1 1/2 tablespoons Salt
1 pound Ziti pasta
1/4 cup milk
1 red onion
6 sweet pickles
2 small green peppers—seeded
1 large shallot
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
2 packets G. Washington brown bouillon powder
freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice
1/4 cup fresh dill—roughly chopped, for garnish
salt and pepper—to taste
1. Bring a 4-quart saucepan of water to a boil. Add 1 Tbsp. salt , then add the Ziti. Boil to al dente. Drain. Rinse in cold water. Drain again.
2. Place the cooked Ziti in a bowl. Add enough milk (about 1/4 cup) to thoroughly moisten the Ziti and toss.
3. Chop the onion, tomatoes, pickles, and peppers into 1/4-inch cubes. Reserve a large tablespoon of each for garnish. Mince the shallot.
4. Beat the sour cream and mayonnaise together with a whisk until creamy, and add the bouillon powder, ½ Tbsp. salt, and the pepper. (Thin with milk if necessary). Pour over the Ziti. Add the shallots, tomatoes, pickles, green peppers, vinegar, and pickle juice. Mix well.
5. Garnish with the reserved vegetables. Cut fresh dill over all. Serve chilled.
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- 1679. Charlie, more kudos for the REC: The Store Cold Ziti Salad w/ Tomatoes and Peppers - Michael in Phoenix - 4:28am on 05/03/06 (11)
- Michael, what do you suggest as a substitute for the brown bouillion powder? Thanks. [NT] - ValinFL - 12:57pm on 05/03/06
- On the old board, someone suggested Maggi seasoning, or another... [LINK] - Michael in Phoenix - 1:38pm on 05/03/06
- I don't see why you couldn't sub one of the paste type stock mix.... - GayleMO - 1:47pm on 05/03/06
- Val, I've bought it at Winn Dixie in the past, but not recently... You might> - Moyn - 1:45pm on 05/03/06
- There were places mentioned on Gail's where one could purchase it on the web-don't know if it makes - charlie - 3:59pm on 05/03/06
- I gave an online source up above, and I'd be willing to send some out... - Michael in Phoenix - 4:54pm on 05/03/06
- Charlie, this sounds like a "favorite" from Gail's. Could you post it here in favorites? [NT] - AngAk - 6:09pm on 05/03/06
- Tweaks from Peg W., from a post on the old board: - Michael in Phoenix - 4:23pm on 05/04/06