Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
If it's the raw type, this should work. Are you the same >>
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #202 at 7:49 pm on Dec 22, 2005
"tartlet apprentice" Sandy? If so, here's one for the other half of the package:
TARTE AU SAUMON ET A L'OSEILLE
(the only hard part about this is finding sorrel. Fortunately it grows like a week here in California
from French Tarts by Linda Dannenberg
1 10-1/2 inch butter pastry shell, partially baked (any pate brisee recipe)
1/2 lb. large-leafed sorrel, washed, stems pulled off backwards
6 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup creme fraiche (or use 1/2 cup sour cream and increase heavy cream to 1 cup)
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
1/2 lb. smoked salmon, cut into thin julienne strips about 1-1/2 inches long
Preheat oven to 400*F.
Reserve 6 sorrel leaves for the garnish. Drop the remaining sorrel into a pot of boiling water, reduce to asimmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well, pressing out excess water, then puree several seconds in a food processor or blender.
In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, cream, creme fraiche and pepper. Beat with a whisk until blended. Add the sorrel puree and smoked salmon, and gently whisk to combine. Pour the filling into the tart shell. Decorate the top with the reserved sorrel leaves.
Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the center of the tart is set. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Serve tepid or at room temperature.
(I use a 9" tart pan with good results, with Julia Child's pate brisee, and I get by with a 6-oz package of smoked salmon from Trader Joe's.
Other messages in this thread:
- 202. ISO good appetizer ideas for one-pound gift of wild Scottish salmon. nt [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 3:22pm on 12/22/05 (10)
- Not sure if you mean fresh or smoked, but this recipe uses both > - Joe - 4:31pm on 12/22/05
- Thanks Joe! It's vacuum-sealed smoked salmon, sliced thin nt [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 7:19pm on 12/22/05
- If it's the raw type, this should work. Are you the same >> - Joe - 7:49pm on 12/22/05
- Ooooh-la-la! Another tartlet challenge! Yep, that's me. This looks very good. (m) - Sandy_in_Philly - 8:42pm on 12/22/05
- Smoked salmon in cucumber cups - Durward - 9:07pm on 12/22/05
- Salmon Canapes >>> - Meryl - 9:10pm on 12/22/05
- Salmon Canapes - THE RECIPE :) >>>>> - Meryl - 9:13pm on 12/22/05
- In the favorite recipes here there is a good smoked salmon cheesecake appetizer. nice. [NT] - AngAk - 10:37pm on 12/22/05
- Smoked Salmon And Cream Cheese Spirals - AngAk - 11:06pm on 12/22/05
- Decisions, decisions.... Thanks so much everyone for these great looking recipes! [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 2:17pm on 12/23/05