Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Another tribute to our forums friends--Michael'sRECSpice cake w/White Chocolat Cream Cheese Frosting
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #17106 at 11:30 pm on Dec 6, 2009
Spice Cake with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour -- plus
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour -- for flouring pans
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup unsalted butter -- (2 sticks) softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs -- room temperature
1 cup milk -- room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting -- (See Recipe)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease with shortening and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans.
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
Cream butter in bowl of mixer. Add sugar and beat, scraping sides, until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Scrape down bowl as needed.
Combine milk and vanilla. Add 1/3 of sifted dry ingredients to mixer set on low. Add 1/2 of milk mixture and continue to beat. Alternate adding rest of dry ingredients by thirds with milk, finishing with dry ingredients. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
Divide batter evenly between the two floured pans. Smooth surface with spatula, moving batter evenly to the sides of the pans.
Bake until firm in center and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, or with a crumb or two, 30 to 35 minutes.
Cool cakes in pans, on racks, for 5 minutes. Loosen sides with knife, and invert onto greased racks. Flip back over onto greased racks to cool completely, right side up, about one hour.
"Michael in Phœnix"
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
3/4 stick unsalted butter -- (6 tbsp) room temperature
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese -- room temperature
1 11-ounce bag white chocolate chips -- or equivalent
1 cup powdered sugar -- approx., to taste
Melt white chocolate in microwave, or in double boiler. Let cool to almost room temperature.
Cream butter and cream cheese on high speed of electric mixer using beater paddle (not the whisk).
Add melted white chocolate and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Blend on low speed to mix in sugar, then on high speed for one minute. Taste. Add more sugar if frosting is not sweet enough for your taste. Once you have adjusted the taste, beat at high speed until fluffy.
Other messages in this thread:
- 17106. Another tribute to our forums friends--Michael'sRECSpice cake w/White Chocolat Cream Cheese Frosting - charlie - 11:30pm on 12/06/09 (34)
- Nancy Silverton's REC: Ginger Scones thanks to Marilyn - charlie - 11:33pm on 12/06/09
- Thanks to Cheeze--REC: Better Than Starbuck's Cranberry Bliss Bars... - charlie - 11:35pm on 12/06/09
- Nigella Lawson's REC: Chocolate Fruit Cake--posted by EvaN - charlie - 11:37pm on 12/06/09
- Luisa's REC: Israelia Couscous with Roasted Butternut Squash & Preserved Lemon... - charlie - 11:40pm on 12/06/09
- from Elaine--REC: Spiced Dates with Mascarpone Cheese... - charlie - 11:42pm on 12/06/09
- Chocolate-of course- from Meryl-REC: Mocha Truffle Cookies... - charlie - 11:44pm on 12/06/09
- Actually this is from Gourmet Mag via our ORCHID! [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 6:09pm on 12/08/09
- I do love these! I think I change out the cream with buttermilk though. [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 12:57am on 12/07/09
- Just a few recipes I appreciate having--so I thank you all for these and many others [NT] - charlie - 11:46pm on 12/06/09
- almost forgot-MariaD's Spiced Pumpkin Sour Cream Upside Down Cake/Caramelized Cranberry Hazelnut Top - charlie - 11:50pm on 12/06/09
- and Dawn_MO's REC: Chocolate Mint Cookies.. - charlie - 11:55pm on 12/06/09
- Thanks for posting this again Charlie. I think last year was the first year - Dawn_MO - 12:15pm on 12/07/09
- and Randi's REC: Hard Boiled Eggs with Piquant Sauce... - charlie - 11:57pm on 12/06/09
- and bar_b's REC: Chicken Curry with Cashews... - charlie - 12:00am on 12/07/09
- etc, etc, etc--and so forth........ [NT] - charlie - 12:01am on 12/07/09
- One of my favorites! Glad you are also enjoying it!! [NT] - barb_b - 9:16pm on 12/07/09
- and Pat's Cosmopolitan Champagne Cocktail!!! - emtd - 1:48am on 12/07/09
- And then there's Unbelievable Chicken Marinade posted by Charlie. [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 2:26am on 12/07/09
- A giant thanks to Marilyn for her Dyslexic Chocolate Sauce - unreal! [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 3:10am on 12/07/09
- Unreal is right Meryl! Mar gave me a jar of this wonderful sauce after our Cypress Gardens - FloriSandy - 3:28am on 12/07/09
- The first time I tried it was via Marilyn. I couldn't stop eating it, so I had to make my own - I've - Meryl - 4:42am on 12/07/09
- What kind of chocolate and butter have you used, Meryl? - Dawn_MO - 11:47am on 12/07/09
- I've never had any crystallization problems. I use Ghirardelli - Meryl - 2:02pm on 12/07/09
- And Lisa in LA's Greek Stuffed Chicken Breasts. Has become a favorite for us. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 3:48pm on 12/07/09
- and Curious's REC: Nutty Couscous Salad... - charlie - 4:18pm on 12/07/09
- Thank you Joe for Richard Sax's REC: Cornmeal Almond Biscotti... - charlie - 4:36pm on 12/07/09
- and KC's REC: Moroccan-Style Cornish Game Hens... - charlie - 4:40pm on 12/07/09
- Special Thanks for Sandi's REC: Blueberry Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake... - charlie - 4:45pm on 12/07/09
- Can't forget Barbara in VA's REC: Chocolate Malt Brownies... - charlie - 4:50pm on 12/07/09
- I think I am going to blame you guys for my weight battle--look at all this great stufff--and ... - charlie - 4:52pm on 12/07/09
- Glad you liked the cake, Charlie. I haven't made it in awhile. I'll have to try to get it done... - Michael in Phoenix - 5:16pm on 12/07/09
- I just love threads like this. They pull together so many good suggestions. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:51pm on 12/08/09