Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|CathyZ from Kauai||
Here is my favorite cinnamon roll recipe
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #17168 at 11:44 pm on Dec 12, 2009
Joanie, this recipe is fabulous. I've made it so many times I cannot count. You could use "regular" yeast and let the rolls rise in the refrig overnight. I've done it.
GRANDMA'S CINNAMON ROLLS
4 Tbsp yeast (I use fast-rise yeast)
1/4 C sugar
1 C warm (104°) water
1/2 C sugar
2 Tbsp salt
3/4 C evaporated milk
1 C Crisco
5 egg yolks
2-1/2 C hot (120°) water
10-1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 C sugar mixed with 1 Tbsp cinnamon
Icing (recipe below)
Dissolve yeast and 1/4 C sugar in 1 C warm water. Set aside until foamy. Mix 1/2 C sugar, salt, evaporated milk, Crisco and egg yolks in a large bowl until well blended. Add the hot water and mix. Add 4 C of the flour and mix well. Add the yeast mixture and blend well. Add remaining 6-1/2 C flour one at a time- you should have a nice, elastic dough that is just barely sticky to the touch. Let rest for 5 minutes. Knead 50 times then shape into two long loaves. Let rest 10 minutes. Roll loaves into rectangles 1/2" thick. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Moisten the upper edge of the dough with water then roll from bottom to top and pinch to seal. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 2" rolls. Place side by side in a greased 10" X 14" pan. Cover lightly with a dish towel and allow to rise until doubled in bulk (15 min for fast-rise yeast) then bake at 325° for 30 minutes or more until golden on top. Allow to cool in pan. Drizzle icing over top and wait for the compliments!
Icing: About 2 C powdered sugar, 2 tsp Mapline or 1 tsp vanilla and enough milk or cream to make a drizzle.
Other messages in this thread:
- 17168. Please help ASAP.....cinnamon rolls (overnite if poss) - joanietoo - 8:16pm on 12/12/09 (10)
- How about the ones Dawn_MO just posted this week? They sound great! [NT] [LINK] - DawnNYS - 8:33pm on 12/12/09
- direct me please havent had a chance to even catch up on post here for more than a week now..... [NT] - joanietoo - 9:22pm on 12/12/09
- Oh sorry, see the link [NT] - joanietoo - 9:22pm on 12/12/09
- Thanx Maria but no chance of finding a cake mix at this late stage...sounds good though. [NT] - joanietoo - 9:23pm on 12/12/09
- Yes, thought about that but took a chance and posted anyway. Others look good! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 1:41am on 12/13/09
- Overnight Cimmamon Breakfast Rolls - MariaDNoCA - 8:53pm on 12/12/09
- Joanie, here's one from rhoward2va [LINK] - KC_ - 9:47pm on 12/12/09
- REC: Rich Cinnamon Rolls (and dinner roll variation) - mistral - 10:59pm on 12/12/09
- Here is my favorite cinnamon roll recipe - CathyZ from Kauai - 11:44pm on 12/12/09
- Addeline's Rolls & Cinnamon rolls - Earnie - 3:00am on 12/13/09