Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Fig Slice Cookies
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #17241 at 2:30 am on Dec 21, 2009
Fig Slice Cookies ( originally raspberry jam)
2.25 c AP flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt. (increase this to scant 1/2 tsp if using unsalted butter)
Sift these together
6 oz (1.5 cubes) softened butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Cream the butter and sugar, then add the egg & vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients until blended in.
Raspberry jam (this year I used my fig jam)
Divide dough into 4 portions. On a lightly floured board (or right on a Silpat-lined cookie sheet) work each portion into a 12 inch long by 1 inch diameter log. Place on parchment or Silpat-lined cookie sheets ( I got all 4 rolls on one big sheet by lining them up parallel to the short side.) Separate rolls by 3 inches. Make a narrow finger-width trench down center with a roound wooden spoon handle. Spoon jam of your choice down center. (I use a baby spoon or espresso spoon.) Sprinkle with sliced almonds (optional but very nice.) Bake 375 deg F for 12 to 15 minutes. You want slightly golden, Not browned! This year I used my convection bake at 350 for 12 minutes.
Remove from oven, cool a bit until firm enough to move to rack but still hottish. I scoot them gentley using both hands. Using a pastry brush glaze with 1/2 c powdered sugar mixed with about 2 Tbs OJ and a bit of zest. Brush cookie sides, not jam tops, with the glaze. Allow to cool to warm then cut each log at a slight diagonal into 10-12 pieces. I use a sharp bench knife and come straight down, wiping clean between each cut for neater cuts. You may eat the end stumps!
Makes 40-48 cookies.
Other messages in this thread:
- Luisa these look beautiful, care to share the recipe???? [NT] - Barbara in VA - 2:17am on 12/21/09
- REC: Fig Slice Cookies [IMAGE] - Luisa_Calif - 2:30am on 12/21/09
- After slicing [NT] [IMAGE] - Luisa_Calif - 4:09am on 12/21/09
- thank you. this looks wonderful. I made fig jam for the first time this year. It has some spice - AngAk - 8:35pm on 12/21/09
- My fig jam has cinnamon. a perfect Holiday fit! [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 8:42pm on 12/21/09
- Luisa thank you so much for the recipe! Ang, I know exactly how you - Barbara in VA - 1:04pm on 12/22/09
- BTW, I don't know if you noticed but I left off the almonds on one "loaf" because... - Luisa_Calif - 8:39pm on 12/22/09