Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
PatBastrop

Here's the recipe I use for carnitas, and it is really good. Not sweet, tho. I'll ask my amigo Cam.

Veteran Member
1689 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #17395 at 10:32 pm on Jan 10, 2010

GREENMARKET CARNITAS

Greenmarket at Union Square, NYC

Time to prepare, about 2 ½ hours
Makes 6 cups

2 pounds smoked pork shank, rinsed
2 pounds fresh pork shank, rinsed
2 medium Spanish onions, peeled and halved
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
oil for baking dish
2 jalapeños, or more to taste, seeded and minced
1 small Spanish onion, chopped

In a large stockpot, combine meat, the 2 halved onions, garlic cumin, oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper. Add chicken broth and just enough water to cover the shanks.

Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until meat begins to fall off the bone, 1 ½ to 2 hours.

Remove from heat, and let cool slightly. Reserve one cup of the cooking liquid, and transfer the shanks to a large pan. Pull meat from the bones, shredding some of it, but leaving some in chunks. Discard the bones. Transfer the meat to a large bowl. Moisten it with some or all of the reserved cooking liquid. At this point, meat may be served as a main dish with tortillas and beans on the side, or as a topping for a salad.

To make the carnitas, heat the oven to 425°. Oil a baking dish large enough to hold the meat in a layer about 1 inch deep. Fold jalapeños and chopped onion into meat, spreading the mixture evenly in the pan. Bake until surface begins to turn crispy in spots, 20 to 30 minutes. Use as a filling for tacos or burritos.

June 2005

Other messages in this thread: