Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
cheezz

Taco Casserole or Enchilada Pie?

Veteran Member
13617 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #17427 at 8:56 pm on Jan 14, 2010

Taco Casserole
Family Circle Magazine, June 25, 1996

I always make a double recipe of this. After it cools, put half of it in a ziploc freezer bag and freeze. When you get ready to bake it, thaw it out, put the tortilla chips in the bottom of the baking dish, and proceed as directed.

Makes 6 servings

3/4 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tbl. chili powder
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 zucchini, diced
1 small can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
3/4 tsp. salt
2 cups tortilla chips
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 green onion, chopped

Brown beef and onion in a skillet. Drain as much fat as you can (I wad up paper towels and push them around with a wooden spoon to soak it up). Add chili powder, corn, zucchini, sauce, water and salt. Simmer 10 min.
Crush 1 cup of chips into the bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. Add beef then top with cheese. Tuck in remaining chips around the edge of dish. Bake at 400 deg. for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle green onion on top. Serve with a bowl of tortilla chips on the side.

---------

Enchilada Pie

Makes 4 to 6 large servings

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1/4 tsp. oregano, crushed
1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
6 corn tortillas
1/4 lb. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 lb. monterey jack cheese, shredded
Salsa

Brown beef and onion in skillet; drain fat. Add salt, pepper, oregano, enchilada sauce and tomato sauce; mix well. Place 3 tortillas in bottom of shallow baking dish. Add 1/2 the meat mixture and top with 1/2 of the cheeses. Cover with 3 more tortillas, rest of meat, and rest of cheese. Bake at 350 deg. for 30 minutes. Serve with salsa on the side.

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!

Other messages in this thread: