Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here ya go: Caramel Sauce
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #17480 at 9:42 pm on Jan 23, 2010
From the poster: "You can use this on so many different things. By adjusting the cooking time, you can make it as thick as you like according to what you are going to use it on. I like to make it thicker to use on ice cream and thinner for desserts. I often double the recipe so I have some left over for later."
* 3/4 cup butter (I used unsalted)
* 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar (I used light brown)
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup evaporated milk
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Combine butter, brown sugar, water, and salt in a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, stirring constantly.
2. Bring to boil for 3 to 5 minutes depending upon thickness desired. (I boiled 5 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and stir in evaporated milk and vanilla. (My note: chill if you want a thicker consistency).
2 1/2 cups (My note: made about 1 1/2 cups).
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 17480. Friend's birthday on Sunday, need to bring him a gift, what's your fav food gift (that can be made - Heather_in_SF - 6:52pm on 01/21/10 (27)
- A gift box of these Peanut Butter and Fudge Brownies with Salted Peanuts would be nice. [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 7:04pm on 01/21/10
- Superbowl coming up in 2 weeks. Maybe ingredients for a nacho treat? - MarilynFL - 7:14pm on 01/21/10
- A big box of bittersweet chocolate truffles (they're easy to make)! [NT] - Meryl - 8:40pm on 01/21/10
- Homemade ice cream sauces, such as hot fudge sauce,caramel sauce, etc., with homemade ice cream (if - Meryl - 9:04pm on 01/21/10
- I like the ice cream topping idea too. Here are some that I have collected. - Dawn_MO - 11:23pm on 01/21/10
- The David Lebovitz site has 2 easy sauces---a Butterscotch and a Chocolate sauce. add some sprinkles - AngAk - 1:17am on 01/22/10
- Different Spice Rubs such as Creole, Cajun, etc...I make them and use them all the time [NT] - suz - 9:33pm on 01/21/10
- What about going to an asian market and purchasing all the necessary ingredients/tools to make - barb_b - 9:48pm on 01/21/10
- How about an Italian Dinner Basket, with all of the ingredients to make a nice - DawnNYS - 1:04am on 01/22/10
- I did a Jamaican one at Christmas with Grace hot curry powder, jerk paste, dried pigeon peas, - Melissa Dallas - 11:22pm on 01/21/10
- Homemade Chex Mix. I LOVE that stuff. So much better than the store boughten mix. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 1:55am on 01/22/10
- Somehow I knew you would. :) [NT] - Meryl - 2:30am on 01/22/10
- (like my idea about the truffles, that is). [NT] - Meryl - 2:31am on 01/22/10
- I've become addicted to chex mix. Amanda. Mad 4 batches since Christmas! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 8:58am on 01/22/10
- My grandmother always made it for Christmas. So good. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 3:35pm on 01/22/10
- me too! I made 2 double batches. still have one half to give out as a late gift. [NT] - AngAk - 6:22pm on 01/22/10
- Just saw in a magazine that they made a bowl out of the chex mix - lorijean - 3:06pm on 01/23/10
- Wow, thank you! You all are great, great ideas that would've never occured to me :-) - Heather_in_SF - 6:35am on 01/22/10
- Let us know what you end up making! [NT] - Meryl - 6:41am on 01/22/10
- I think I might do a basket for them. My friend doesn't cook and neither - Heather_in_SF - 6:13am on 01/23/10
- Heather, I have a foolproof, easy recipe for caramel sauce.Do you want me to post it? Also, - Meryl - 7:08am on 01/23/10
- Wait, did you just say foolproof in the same sentence as caramel? - Sandi in Hawaii - 7:45pm on 01/23/10
- Here ya go: Caramel Sauce [LINK] - Meryl - 9:42pm on 01/23/10
- Thanks Meryl, foolproof is good! I will give it a try, it's always nicer to include something home - Heather_in_SF - 7:26am on 01/24/10
- homemade biscotti is always a good thing to add to a basket of goodies. [NT] - AngAk - 7:30pm on 01/23/10
- I believe Dawn posted a recipe for dipping spice/herb mixes. You could showcase your - barb_b - 5:34pm on 01/22/10
- Found it; if you search under Dip Mix; I believe Traca, Dawn and Ang as well as SuxieQ - barb_b - 5:55pm on 01/22/10