Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
CathyZ from Kauai

I finally reconstructed the "Killer Shrimp" recipe. The restaurant closed years ago but I

Veteran Member
3895 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #17496 at 4:57 pm on Jan 24, 2010

never forgot the savory sauce. Any of you who ate there- it was either in Hermosa Beach or Redondo Beach- up on second floor of a building- would remember that shrimp. I was taken there so I don't remember exactly where it was. The sauce was savory, just a bit tomato-y. spicy, sloppy. You ate the shrimp with your fingers and soaked up the sauce with bread. Just delicious.

I once found a "knock off" recipe for it which was my "base" recipe until I "fixed" it- but it wasn't right. For a few years on and off I have tried to replicate the recipe and finally I hit it this last week. I now have my version of "Killer Shrimp".

KILLER SHRIMP

2 T fresh rosemary
2 T dry thyme
1 tsp black pepper
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 T fennel seed
1 T celery seed
1 tsp crushed red pepper (more if you like spicy)
2 qts clam broth (or use 1qt clam broth and 1 qt low sodium chicken broth)
6 ozs tomato paste
1 stick butter
1 lb or more large shrimp (save shells for broth-I leave the tails on)
French bread

Using a big knife, chop the rosemary, thyme, and
fennel seed. Break the spices up rather than grinding them. In the end
there should still be recognizable pieces of the rosemary, etc. Mix the ingredients in a pot, adding the shrimp shells. Simmer for about 1-1/2 hour. Just before serving, take out shrimp shells and add raw shrimp. Simmer until shrimp is done, stirring, about 2 minutes. Serve in bowls. Each bowl should contain a serving of shrimp and a lot of sauce. The sauce should almost completely cover the shrimp. The dish is eaten with your fingers. Soak up the sauce with the bread.

If you have sauce left, freeze to use as “mother” for the next batch.

Other messages in this thread: