Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Date Nut Bread
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #18045 at 3:10 pm on Apr 8, 2010
2 cups chopped dates
1 cup hot water
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbsp. Butter
1 beaten egg
2 Tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
Combine dates, sugar, hot water, honey and butter. Let sit 15 minutes. Stir in egg and vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Stir into batter with nuts. Pour into large greased loaf pan. Bake 325° for 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes.
When cool I cut thin slices, then cut those on a diagonal so I have triangles. Fill with the cream cheese mixture and make a sandwich out of it.
I've made these many, many times and receive more praise for them than for more elaborate pastries. Hope you enjoy them.
By the way... Loved the book "Help"
Other messages in this thread:
- 18045. CynUpstateNY: You posted once about making Date Nut bread tea sandwiches. do you have a T&T recipe - AngAk - 6:18pm on 04/07/10 (4)
- Yes I do, Ang. I fill them with a mixture of cream cheese, orange zest and honey, It's 4 am here- - CynUpstateNY - 8:18am on 04/08/10
- REC: Date Nut Bread - CynUpstateNY - 3:10pm on 04/08/10
- thank you! I guess I can make this a few weeks ahead and freeze the loaves? - AngAk - 5:27pm on 04/08/10
- Sounds wonderful! Sure, you can freeze the loaves, but I usually slice it thinly and it really - CynUpstateNY - 5:31pm on 04/08/10