Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REc: Lebovitz's Perfect Scoop Chocolate Ice Cream (Had wrong name in my head for some reason)
Joined: Jan 8, 2006
Posted to Thread #18167 at 12:16 pm on May 3, 2010
2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
5 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup whole milk
¾ cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
5 large egg yolks
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Warm 1 cup of the cream with the cocoa powder in a medium saucepan, whisking to thoroughly blend the cocoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer at a very low boil for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate, stirring until smooth. Then stir in the remaining 1 cup cream. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, scraping the saucepan as thoroughly as possible, and set a mesh strainer on top of the bowl.
Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in the same saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolk. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
Stir the mixture constantly over the medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula (170°F on an instant-read thermometer). Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the chocolate mixture until smooth, then stir in the vanilla. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. (If the cold mixture is too thick to pour into your machine, whisk it vigorously to thin it out.)
Other messages in this thread:
- 18167. I made the custard for Nick Malgieri's chocolate ice cream tonight to freeze tomorrow. - Melissa Dallas - 3:17am on 05/03/10 (4)
- Oh, yoo hoo - can you post the recipe? [NT] - Meryl - 4:23am on 05/03/10
- REc: Lebovitz's Perfect Scoop Chocolate Ice Cream (Had wrong name in my head for some reason) - Melissa Dallas - 12:16pm on 05/03/10
- I just so happen to have that recipe in my files, but thanks! By the way, have you tried - Meryl - 1:44pm on 05/03/10
- I saw that one posted in the archives here someplace. I'll try it next time. Thanks! - Melissa Dallas - 2:58pm on 05/03/10