Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
FloriSandy

Rec: Cocktail Meatballs

Veteran Member
3841 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #18155 at 8:54 pm on May 3, 2010

COCKTAIL MEATBALLS

1 beaten egg
2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
½ pound lean ground beef
Cooking oil
Tangy Cranberry Sauce

Combine egg, bread crumbs, green onion, green pepper, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and dash pepper. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape beef mixture into ¾-inch meatballs. (Allow meatballs to stand at room temperature 30 minutes before cooking.)

Pour cooking oil into a metal fondue cooker to no more than ½ capacity or to a depth of 2 inches. Heat over range to 350°. Add 1 teaspoon salt to the hot oil. Transfer cooker to a fondue burner. Spear individual meatballs with a fondue fork; cook in hot oil about 1 minute or till browned. Transfer meatballs to a dinner fork; dip into warm Tangy Cranberry Sauce. Makes about 40 meatballs.

Tangy Cranberry Sauce: Combine one 8-ounce can jellied cranberry sauce, 3 tablespoons bottled steak sauce, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons cooking oil, and 1 teaspoon prepared mustard. Beat till smooth with a rotary beater. Heat through. Makes 2 cups.

Selections from Better Homes and Gardens
New Cook Book

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My notes:

I doubled the recipe using 1.25 lbs. of ground beef and substituted 4-5 TBS. of drained Pace medium Picante sauce in lieu of the scallions and green peppers. I also added a dash of worcestershire sauce and pan fried them in a nonstick skillet in two batches. I then spread them out on paper towels.

I’ve made these twice. The second time, I made the double batch the night before and brought them into work to feed a bunch of hungry engineers. I heated them in el cheapo aluminum chafing dish with sternos and served a mild store-bought horseradish sauce for the guys to dip in with toothpicks. They loved and devoured them (and that was after lunch!).

I loved these and they’re so easy to make and the meatballs hold their shape very well.

Other messages in this thread: