Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
This T & T Moon Cake (rhubarb) would qualify as a coffee cake.
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #1966 at 2:13 pm on May 21, 2006
MOON CAKE (RHUBARB)
Source unknown except to say the recipe came out of a magazine many years ago. It's a spring favourite.
Preheat oven to 350°F
Grease a 9” x 13” pan
Moon cake is so named because, once baked, the top looks like the lunar surface. It is delicious topped with whipped cream and sliced strawberries.
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 egg, beaten
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sliced rhubarb
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
* Cream brown sugar and butter until smooth and creamy.
* Blend in egg.
* In a bowl mix 1/2 cup of the flour into the rhubarb.
* Blend the soda and salt into the remaining flour.
* Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and
ending with flour.
* Fold in rhubarb/flour mixture into batter.
* Add 1 tsp. of vanilla
*Turn into pan. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes.
(Note: to sour milk add 1 tsp. of vinegar to milk.)
3/4 cup Brown sugar
3/4 cup Walnuts or Pecans
Blend brown sugar with the nuts and spread
evenly over cake batter. Bake as directed.
Other messages in this thread:
- 1966. Anyone have a t&t coffee cake or crumb cake. Last one ended up in the disposal! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 9:50am on 05/20/06 (34)
- Cyn...not t&t, but take a look at this one from Martha Stewart. New York Crumb Cake. I've read [LINK] - Curious1 - 1:22pm on 05/20/06
- Oops, I just re-read your posts above and you mention Martha's topping, so perhaps you've tried this [NT] - Curious1 - 1:33pm on 05/20/06
- Here's a real winner posted by Gay R--REC: New York Style Crumbcake... - charlie - 2:34pm on 05/20/06
- This is the type where the crumb topping always tastes like raw flour to me. (more) - CynUpstateNY - 10:56pm on 05/20/06
- Cyn, 5 cups of flour is incorrect. It is 4 cups and the crumb topping does not taste like flour. .. - GayR - 11:19pm on 05/20/06
- Thanks Gay- it's on the list! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 1:16am on 05/21/06
- The Cafe Beaujolais' coffeecake under Breakfast in the T&T Hall - audball - 2:38pm on 05/20/06
- Cyn, The recipe of Sara Foster is a winner I have made numerous times, .... [LINK] - GayR - 2:43pm on 05/20/06
- Cyn, Here is Martha Stewart's Cardomom Streusel Coffee Cake that gets rave reviews .... [LINK] - GayR - 2:52pm on 05/20/06
- Question about Cardamom...this recipe calls for grinding the whole pod, do you - Curious1 - 3:12pm on 05/20/06
- Curious1, Yes, I always grind the pods in a spice grinder. - GayR - 3:32pm on 05/20/06
- Thanks Gay, it's quite a job digging those seeds out, lol. [NT] - Curious1 - 8:00pm on 05/20/06
- Interesting, the Martha Stewart recipe is a halved version of the original Sara Foster recipe to - Curious1 - 2:53pm on 05/20/06
- Hi Cyn. This is by far my favorite. I posted it on the other board, to good reviews. - Michael in Phoenix - 4:10pm on 05/20/06
- This is first on my list to try, Michael- thanks! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 11:01pm on 05/20/06
- Hey Cyn, here are some of my favorites - these all have streusel toppings... - Meryl - 4:35pm on 05/20/06
- Please post all! :-) They sound lovely. And the more streusel, the better! [NT] - ErininIsrael - 10:13pm on 05/20/06
- Erin, here are the recipes... - Meryl - 11:02pm on 05/20/06
- Thanks, Meryl! The raspberry one is on my to-do list for tomorrow. :-) [NT] - ErininIsrael - 11:33pm on 05/20/06
- My pleasure. Let me know how it turns out! [NT] - Meryl - 12:34am on 05/21/06
- No Meryl, I'm not- would love your recipes, please. Also have a question. - CynUpstateNY - 10:59pm on 05/20/06
- Cyn, I guess we were posting at the same time. I posted the recipes above. As far as testing - Meryl - 11:14pm on 05/20/06
- Well, that might just solve the problem- I use nonstick but will switch to shiny! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 1:18am on 05/21/06
- Cyn, although shiny pans are usually preferable, (although I prefer using dark pans - Meryl - 4:08am on 05/21/06
- Here is my favorite T& T Coffee Cake - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:19pm on 05/20/06
- Anothewr keeper! Thanks! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 11:02pm on 05/20/06
- I'm so excited at all these new recipes to try that I forgot how to spell! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 11:03pm on 05/20/06
- Here's one I haven't made in a while - REC: Sour Cream Coffee Cake from Barefoot Contessa - Sandi in Hawaii - 6:25pm on 05/20/06
- Okay, I was having a hard day today, and things just weren't going right... - Sandi in Hawaii - 6:53am on 05/21/06
- Cyn, so did mine. These new postings look good. Guess I'll be (m) - Misplaced in AZ - 6:52pm on 05/20/06
- Thanks to all of you- I'll be baking one a week for the next several months! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 11:05pm on 05/20/06
- This T & T Moon Cake (rhubarb) would qualify as a coffee cake. - Sylvia - 2:13pm on 05/21/06
- Rec. Apple Streusel Coffee Cake... - Susan_Calgary - 6:49pm on 05/21/06
- This looks delicious, Susan- thanks for posting it [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 9:14pm on 05/21/06