Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Meme's Blackberry Cobbler from 'Bon Appetit, Y'all' that Traca mentioned
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #18405 at 7:04 pm on Jun 19, 2010
recently. This is a very good cobbler, I made half the recipe, used an 8" skillet and was generous with the blackberries. Great served with ice cream.
Meme's Blackberry Cobbler
Serves 6 to 8
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
4 cups fresh blackberries
1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of fine sea salt
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Whipped cream, creme fraiche, or ice cream, for serving
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.Melt butter in a large cast-iron skillet or ovenproof baking dish, in the oven, 5 to 7 minutes.
3.Meanwhile, place blackberries in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, mash blackberries to release their juices. If blackberries are tart, sprinkle with sugar.
4.In another large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add 1 cup sugar, milk, and vanilla extract; mix until well combined. Remove skillet from oven and add melted butter to flour mixture; stir to combine. Pour mixture into skillet and pour blackberries and their juices into the center.
5.Transfer skillet to oven and bake until top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the batter comes out clean, about 1 hour. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature with whipped cream, creme fraiche, or ice cream.
Other messages in this thread:
- Thank you! [NT] - Marsha tbay - 6:33pm on 06/19/10
- You're welcome, too good not to share. [NT] - Curious1 - 7:08pm on 06/19/10
- Rec: Meme's Blackberry Cobbler from 'Bon Appetit, Y'all' that Traca mentioned [LINK] - Curious1 - 7:04pm on 06/19/10
- Funny, I'm reading that book right now (again!). Made the Salmon Croquettes and the - Traca - 7:49pm on 06/19/10
- I like the Chicken Saltimbocca from that book but I use Spec from Costco instead of the country ham. [NT] - Janet in NC - 8:47pm on 06/19/10
- Traca, I would love the salmon croquettes recipe. TIA [NT] - elaine - 3:46am on 06/20/10
- This one has a cake topping, but it's delicous. I made it last night with blackberries & peaches. I [LINK] - Curious1 - 2:40pm on 06/27/10
- And don't forget the Raspberry Buttermilk Cake from Gourmet, also delicous with blackberries. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 7:08pm on 06/19/10
- Thanks Curious! I just came back with my free blueberries and..... - FloriSandy - 10:35pm on 06/19/10
- Wow - you guys are lucky. I'm paying $2.99 for a pint (local), and they're not even good. [NT] - Meryl - 10:38pm on 06/19/10
- But, but...I didn't tell you to buy ice cream! Did you see Ben & Jerry's is BOGO? [NT] - Curious1 - 5:10pm on 06/20/10
- "Everything but the..." and "New York Super Fudge Chunk" oh, my. [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 9:17pm on 06/20/10
- No you didn't tell me to buy ice cream. I'm from Philly, how can I not buy the best ice cream there - FloriSandy - 10:11pm on 06/20/10
- I thought Ben & Jerry's started in Vermont. [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 12:36am on 06/21/10
- Thank you, Curious!! [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 2:23am on 06/20/10