Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Ground Beef Chili from Apron's Simple Meals. So I really thought long
Joined: Dec 15, 2005
Posted to Thread #18463 at 9:09 pm on Jun 25, 2010
and hard about should I post this or not. And yes, I'm gonna! But must admit I'm kinda nervous. So, as many here know I cook at Publix Apron's once a week. About 8 months ago the recipe was this chili. Being the food snob that I am...or was, I looked at the ingredients and snickered. Most of the time is spent opening the cans! Seriously, a can of tomato soup? But loving my 1 day of cooking at Apron's every week more than about anything...cook and open I did. And then I tasted it. Wow! It is a great chili! So I bought everything and made it the next day for John (chili being his favorite food) and he said I was the best cook in the world. This after spending 42 years trying just about every recipe that has come along. All good but really, this is a great recipe. So I'm finally posting it and my head is held high! If you have the time, make it and do a test run and see if you like it. You're certainly not out a lot of cost if it's not what you like.
Ground Beef Chili
MAKES 8 SERVINGS
1 onion (rinsed)
1 1/2 lb ground chuck beef
3 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes/sweet onions (undrained)
1 (10-ounce) can milder diced tomatoes/green chiles (undrained)
1 (16-ounce) can chili beans in mild sauce (undrained)(Orchid's note: This is Bush's Best Chili Beans-Pinto Beans in Chili Sauce-Medium Sauce)
1 (15-ounce) can black beans (drained)
Remove ends and peel from onion; chop onion coarsely and divide in half. Preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place beef, chili powder, seasoned salt, pepper, and one-half of the onions in pan. Cook 4–5 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until meat is brown and no pink remains.
Stir in remaining ingredients, including remaining one-half onions. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
Reduce heat to low; cook 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 310kcal; FAT 11g; CHOL 50mg;
SODIUM 1160mg; CARB 29g; FIBER 7g; PROTEIN 22g;
VIT A 25%; VIT C 20%; CALC 8%; IRON 20%
Link: Publix Apron's Ground Beef Chili
Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we may diet.
Other messages in this thread:
- 18463. We are having a chili cook off at our church and am looking for great recipe to knock some socks off [NT] - Brooksie - 6:48pm on 06/25/10 (19)
- This chili from Cafe Annie in Houston is wonderful. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 7:04pm on 06/25/10
- Note that the recipe above is in a thread with lots of chili recipes that look good. [NT] - Curious1 - 9:53pm on 06/25/10
- Ground Beef Chili from Apron's Simple Meals. So I really thought long [LINK] - orchid - 9:09pm on 06/25/10
- thanks orchid. most of us can certainly use these easy to prepare dishes with pantry items. [NT] - AngAk - 10:02pm on 06/25/10
- You're a dream Angie! Thanks for that. Now, wouldn't a pot of chili - orchid - 12:55am on 06/26/10
- I'll take that glass of wine with the chili---I have my sweatshirt on today--it's a bit "chili" - AngAk - 5:53pm on 06/28/10
- Sounds perfect! Can I invite us? And.... - orchid - 1:44am on 06/29/10
- I have an old paper cookbooklet from Campbells that I still use for some comfort food dishes. and - AngAk - 5:24pm on 06/29/10
- Pat_NoCal's Amazing Chili. I've made it many times and it's fabulous. [NT] [LINK] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 9:50pm on 06/25/10
- agree, very good. for something different, this Creamy Chicken Chili is also very good. [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 9:59pm on 06/25/10
- when I make Pat's Chili, I sometimes add a square of dark chocolate at the end. [NT] - AngAk - 10:00pm on 06/25/10
- Esquire Magazine - Chili Contest - Judged by Chef D. Boulud - White Bean & Italian Sausage Chili [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 11:21pm on 06/25/10
- Here is the entire article including the other recipes [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 11:28pm on 06/25/10
- This sounds interesting! I like the fried leeks as a garnish; different than traditional tom/raw - barb_b - 2:19am on 06/26/10
- I enjoy Rec: Chili for a Crowd from Silver Palate. I love Sausage in Chili [LINK] - barb_b - 2:25am on 06/26/10
- thanks for this recipe for a crowd. I like the idea of sausage added too. [NT] - AngAk - 6:00pm on 06/28/10
- Rec: Chasen’s Chili - MariaDNoCA - 3:50am on 06/26/10
- Ha, I wonder if it was a syndicated column, I had the same recipe and made it often. Mine was from - Curious1 - 5:21pm on 06/26/10
- Thanks for all your recipes, they all look great.You all are great [NT] - Brooksie - 12:28am on 06/28/10