Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Best Peach Crumble (I've never used peaches - I sub blueberries... hubby's FAVE!)
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #18626 at 7:15 am on Jul 16, 2010
Makes the crunchiest topping ever!
Best Peach [Blueberry!] Crumble
Cook’s Illustrated Jul/Aug 2006
3-1/2 lb. ripe but firm peaches (6-7 medium), peeled, pitted, cut in half then into 3/4” wedges
[if fresh peaches are unavailable, subsitute 5 10-oz. bags frozen peaches, thawed] --NOTE!!
I always use 1-1/2 lbs. blueberries instead. cheezz]
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/4 tsp. cornstarch
3-5 tsp. lemon juice [alter according to sweetness of peaches]
pinches: salt, cinnamon, nutmeg
1 cup flour
1/4 cup + 1 Tbl. sugar
1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
6 Tbl. butter cut into 6 pieces and very soft
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350 deg.
Toss peaches & sugar in large bowl; let stand 30 min., tossing often. Drain peaches in colander, reserving juice. Whisk 1/4 cup reserved juice, cornstarch, lmeon juice, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg in small bowl. Toss with peaches and put in an 8” square glass baking dish.
While peaches are macerating, combine flour, sugars (reserve 1 Tbl. of the granulated sugar) and salt in bowl of food processor. Drizzle vanilla over and toss well. Add butter and half of the nuts and process until it clumps together into large crumbly balls. Sprinkle rest of nuts over and pulse twice. Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet and spread in even layer. The largest pieces should be roughly 1/2” chunks. Bake until lightly browned and firm (18-22 min).
Using parchment (with topping chunks) as funnel, slide the topping over peaches, spreading evenly and packing down lightly. Sprinkle reserved tablespoon of sugar over. Increase oven temp to 375 and bake until well browned and fruit is bubbling around edges, 25-35 minutes. Cool on wire rack at least 15 min.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 18626. Can we start a blueberry thread? I tried the search function, but they're all over - DawnNYS - 2:16am on 07/16/10 (36)
- Tons Of Blueberry Coffee Cake [LINK] - Meryl - 4:54am on 07/16/10
- I like to make a blueberry sauce, layer it in a container with homemade vanilla - Meryl - 4:58am on 07/16/10
- Blueberry Muffins (Jordan Marsh) - (Also posted in T&T): [LINK] - Meryl - 5:00am on 07/16/10
- Baked Blueberry-Pecan French Toast - Adapted from Gourmet [LINK] - Meryl - 5:13am on 07/16/10
- REC: Best Peach Crumble (I've never used peaches - I sub blueberries... hubby's FAVE!) [LINK] - cheezz - 7:15am on 07/16/10
- Dawn - I hope you'll post this thread in 'Great Threads' so we can find it again :) [NT] - cheezz - 6:58pm on 07/17/10
- Fresh Blueberry Pie (refrigerator). I've made several versions, this is the favorite. - Curious1 - 12:26pm on 07/16/10
- Blueberry Streusel Bars with Lemon-Cream Filling - Curious1 - 12:30pm on 07/16/10
- Blueberry Pudding Cake - Curious1 - 12:36pm on 07/16/10
- Luscious Crepes with Blueberry-Rum Sauce - Curious1 - 12:41pm on 07/16/10
- This is fabulous! I've got a post on it coming up. One of the best desserts ever! IMHO:) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 12:51pm on 07/16/10
- Well with a recommendation like that how could I not give these a try? - Barbara in VA - 1:17pm on 07/16/10
- Blueberries Flambeed - Joe - 1:59pm on 07/16/10
- Rec: BB Kuchen, Fresh BB Pie, Fruit Torte, Apple BB Crisp - rhoward2va - 7:51pm on 07/16/10
- Blueberry Pound Cake (T&T) - from BHG - My go to Blueberry Cake [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 10:04pm on 07/16/10
- Million Dollar Blueberry Pound Cake - The Best - Sandy in Baltimore - 1:23am on 08/04/10
- Blueberry Crisp - DawnNYS - 2:13am on 07/17/10
- Lemon-Blueberry Muffins - DawnNYS - 2:16am on 07/17/10
- And Low-Carb Blueberry Muffins - DawnNYS - 2:47am on 07/17/10
- Warm Blueberry Brie - DawnNYS - 2:23am on 07/17/10
- Refrigerator Blueberry-Pepper Jam - DawnNYS - 2:30am on 07/17/10
- A few nice ones here [NT] [LINK] - DawnNYS - 2:32am on 07/17/10
- Blueberry Bread w/Cinnamon - DawnNYS - 2:44am on 07/17/10
- Streusel Topped Triple Berry Coffee Cake [LINK] - Meryl - 4:28am on 07/17/10
- REC: Blueberry Buckle [LINK] - Sandi in Hawaii - 5:37am on 07/17/10
- Making this for tonight. Thanks Sandi [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:03pm on 07/17/10
- I just made these Blueberry Crumb Bars last week for hub's office. Loved it! [LINK] - Sandi in Hawaii - 5:47am on 07/17/10
- these are soooo good. [NT] - AngAk - 8:05am on 07/17/10
- I made these last night for my knitting group..they are so easy to make.... - Susie in CO - 3:40am on 07/22/10
- REC: Blueberry Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake [LINK] - Sandi in Hawaii - 5:56am on 07/17/10
- Blueberry/Raspberry Pie [LINK] - lizzy - 2:20pm on 07/17/10
- No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake posted by Charlie [NT] [LINK] - Lana in FL - 5:27pm on 07/17/10
- found: Mom's blueberry cheesecake. more like bars. a favorite after blueberry picking - AngAk - 12:46am on 07/29/10
- This looks great, Ang. We're awash in blueberries, and I need a canvas for them. :) [NT] - ErininNY - 3:21am on 08/04/10