Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Rita in ILL||
Caramel Apple Bars
Joined: Jun 28, 2010
Posted to Thread #19197 at 8:48 pm on Oct 17, 2010
Found this on recipegirl's blog..looks wonderful. Now I need to convince myself to try to make caramel sauce.
CARAMEL APPLE BARS
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups brown sugar
¼ cup light corn syrup
4 Tbs butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
¾ cup butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup ground pecans
2 cups rolled oats
3½ cups sliced apples (about 24 ounces)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup homemade caramel
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 9×13-inch pan with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
2. Prepare caramel: Mix caramel ingredients in a 2-quart saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring constantly, until it reaches soft-ball stage (230-234 degrees). Remove from heat.
3. In a medium bowl, beat the brown sugar and the next 4 ingredients (through baking soda) until thoroughly combined. Mix in the flour, ground pecans and oats until crumbly. scoop out 1 cup and set aside. Place the remaining crumbs into your prepared pan and press down firmly to coat the bottom.
4. Toss apples in a large bowl with the salt and cinnamon. Arrange them over the crust. Drizzle 1 cup of warm caramel over the top and the sprinkle with the remaining crumbs you set aside.
5. Bake 35- 40 minutes until bubbly and the apples are just tender. Remove and let cool until they are just warm to the touch. Cut into squares. Try and let the bars rest until the caramel has set before serving.
*The caramel recipe makes more than you will use for this recipe, so you can pour the rest into an 8×8-inch pan lined with foil and let cool. Cut into squares and you have your own homemade caramel squares.
Recipe Source: Adapted from KA Cookie Companion via Desert Culinary Blog
Read more: http://www.recipegirl.com/2008/07/31/caramel-apple-bars/#ixzz12eQkBCBz
Other messages in this thread:
- 19197. Caramel Apple Bars - Rita in ILL - 8:48pm on 10/17/10 (9)
- Thanks for posting this. Sure would be easier to buy and melt - DawnNYS - 10:12pm on 10/17/10
- Homemade caramel is SO much tastier!! Give it a try... not hard at all! [NT] - cheezz - 12:52am on 10/18/10
- Here's a foolproof, ultra easy recipe for caramel sauce if anyone's interested: [LINK] - Meryl - 1:14am on 10/18/10
- Hi Rita! Thanks for posting the apple bar recipe. I tried out some caramel [LINK] - Barbara in VA - 4:41pm on 10/18/10
- This is good to know... I just bought the itmes to make the caramel coating for the - DawnNYS - 10:54pm on 10/18/10
- Oooh, nevermind. This is totally different from the caramel I'm making. When I saw that the - DawnNYS - 11:05pm on 10/18/10
- Dawn, could you post your caramel recipe. please? - Lana in FL - 3:39am on 10/19/10
- Sure - it's inside, but I think 248F sounds a little high [LINK] - DawnNYS - 4:16am on 10/20/10
- Thanks! It's actually pretty much the same as mine, except that I use the microwave. - Lana in FL - 1:59am on 10/21/10